SEMI-URGENT: Chip in glass - broken silicone seal

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have chipped my glass on the inside next to the silicone seal. The chip is light, but it now drips every 5 seconds. It is 20 cm from the surface. It is a flake chip - no crack through the sickness of the glass. Is there a risk of catastrofic failure in the future? Should I try to fix it? If yes, how?

This is a REDSEA 170 tank with about 30 liters above the chip. Attached are two views from front and side of the glass.

Glass chip FRONT.jpg Glass chip SIDE.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you're in immediate danger of a catastrophic failure, but it will progressively become worse over time (especially if it's already leaking). You may be able to fix it, but this may involve replacing the chipped panel and may ultimately end up being more cost effective and expedient to just replace the entire tank.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you're in immediate danger of a catastrophic failure, but it will progressively become worse over time (especially if it's already leaking). You may be able to fix it, but this may involve replacing the chipped panel and may ultimately end up being more cost effective and expedient to just replace the entire tank.
I do agree with you regarding replacing the panel not being the right option. I have put a tight band around the tank to prevent a catastrophic failure. I will keep an eye on it and maybe try to put silicon around it. Or could I use a superglue?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with you regarding replacing the panel not being the right option. I have put a tight band around the tank to prevent a catastrophic failure. I will keep an eye on it and maybe try to put silicon around it. Or could I use a superglue?
As an interim "fix", maybe some gel superglue. I honestly don't think either superglue or silicone will be more than a band-aid solution, though.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry to hear, strapping is great idea, no super glue ,will not bond
strap may buy you some time ,silicone may hold for X time , seal is compromised
hate to say it ,but would start looking for different tank ,JMO
@Troylee thoughts ?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best option is new tank
Next option would be replace the panel
3rd option try to fix. Here's a video of how someone fixed a leak on a already full tank

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear, strapping is great idea, no super glue ,will not bond
strap may buy you some time ,silicone may hold for X time , seal is compromised
hate to say it ,but would start looking for different tank ,JMO
@Troylee thoughts ?
Agreed I wouldn’t trust superglue… hmmmm I don’t think the glass will fail but that silicone joint might as it’s weakened and it’s Red Sea which don’t have the best rep with non damaged silicone joints.. you could try a 2 part epoxy on the outside such jb weld “the clear stuff” to stop the leak and then just observe the silicone joint for bubbles down the road.. I don’t think it’s gonna be catastrophic any time soon… do you have a picture where the damage is in conjunction with the tank overall? Is near the top or bottom etc??

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a picture where the damage is in conjunction with the tank overall? Is near the top or bottom etc??
It is about 20 cm from the top of the water - estimated 30 liters above the problem. So not much pressure. I lowered the volume to below the damage and applied silicone on the outside hoping that I can put "water behind it" after 24 hours.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the glass will fail but that silicone joint might as it’s weakened and it’s Red Sea which don’t have the best rep with non damaged silicone joints..
It might not matter, but I actually don't think the silicone is damaged. It is the hairline crack in the glass that allows the water through.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is the crack dead ended ? or have ability to run ?
if water is coming through crack , not a clam chip ?

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a marine sealant that I used many years ago which worked under water. I cannot think of the name of it now, but thought I got it from West Marine. If memory serves, it was two part and maybe one part was in a can and the other was in a vial.

Here is a list of some recommended marine sealants which may help in the interim.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the crack dead ended ? or have ability to run ?
if water is coming through crack , not a clam chip ?
I am not sure what clam chips means, but it does look like a clam and it is still attached. Seems to dead end at the edge of the glass and the edge of the "clam" on the other side.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update .... I lowered the water below the crack. Put a glob of silicone on the inside and a glob on the outside and waited 24 hours. It is ugly, but it has been holding for now.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a back up plan just in case ? Hope you don't need it !!
Best wishes,keep us posted... ;) :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back