Semper Fi Reefers!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all!

I am relatively new to the hobby, but at this point I am all in.

About me: I am a retired U.S. Marine living in the South Eastern US, 2 sons off in college, and needed something to keep me busy; and apparently consume all my money!

I got started about 2 years ago, jokingly telling my son I was going to turn his room into my "Nekkid room" (Failure to Launch). So as a joke my wife bought me a 32 gallon bow front aquarium from Petsmart. Well, the jokes on her. I now have a Waterbox 130.4, SPS dominate tank that is finally starting to grow, the 32 gallon is a half way house, basically a QT tank with live rock, and a 20 gallon breeder that I just set up to use as a frag tank.

I have battled through killing countless corals through making daily changes, to Ick, Cyno, and a 6th month battle with Dinos until one day it just all clicked! I haven't seen dinos in a month, and have gotten more growth in the past few weeks than I have in the previous 2 years.

Also, already considering a bigger tank....... any Waterbox 180.5's out there?

Sargeeq
Semper Fi, brother. Not retired here, but 9 yrs in the USMC. I'd be happy to help you out if you have any issues as I was hard done by in the beginning. Now everything is doing great in my tank. Bigger is better if you plan on staying in the hobby... and we all do if we're here!
IMG_3337.jpg

OP
OP
Sargeeq

Sargeeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semper Fi, brother. Not retired here, but 9 yrs in the USMC. I'd be happy to help you out if you have any issues as I was hard done by in the beginning. Now everything is doing great in my tank. Bigger is better if you plan on staying in the hobby... and we all do if we're here!
IMG_3337.jpg
Good looking reef!! Mine is just a twig farm at this point. Almost all the frags are under 6 months old and just starting to grow.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sargeeq, welcome to R2R!! :)

First off thank you for your service, I want to hear the Snoop Dog music then;).

WolvertonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all!

I am relatively new to the hobby, but at this point I am all in.

About me: I am a retired U.S. Marine living in the South Eastern US, 2 sons off in college, and needed something to keep me busy; and apparently consume all my money!

I got started about 2 years ago, jokingly telling my son I was going to turn his room into my "Nekkid room" (Failure to Launch). So as a joke my wife bought me a 32 gallon bow front aquarium from Petsmart. Well, the jokes on her. I now have a Waterbox 130.4, SPS dominate tank that is finally starting to grow, the 32 gallon is a half way house, basically a QT tank with live rock, and a 20 gallon breeder that I just set up to use as a frag tank.

I have battled through killing countless corals through making daily changes, to Ick, Cyno, and a 6th month battle with Dinos until one day it just all clicked! I haven't seen dinos in a month, and have gotten more growth in the past few weeks than I have in the previous 2 years.

Also, already considering a bigger tank....... any Waterbox 180.5's out there?

Sargeeq
Welcome to the hobby Devil Dog.

OP
OP
Sargeeq

Sargeeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So originally set this up in Oct 2020 and let it go 6 months before really started to add corals. Soon as I did my battles with everything from NHA, variegated snails, and dinos.

I have lost quite a bit of corals and fish in the process. But it’s finally stable. (Only took 2 years!)
25D4D5EF-490A-4573-9FBE-BE549ABC73B6.jpeg

Oct 2010
AA2FC64C-9600-4A89-AA5F-B44DAB12EEA2.jpeg

Dec 2010
6CA22674-4019-4B3D-8CE8-CDDEA9B261AD.jpeg

March 2011

Fast forward through a year of misery and learning everything not to do.
040C5162-5618-40D9-8F2F-F2D59413D34A.jpeg

Tank today

65F2F3BD-D4CD-4A08-ADD3-81DBA73917C8.jpeg

Sump
1C138BF9-9438-4597-97BD-6C9070F108D7.jpeg

some of my critters.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking reef!! Mine is just a twig farm at this point. Almost all the frags are under 6 months old and just starting to grow.
Thanks. A year from now your tank should be fairly packed with that many frags. It'll all come in time, as long as nothing dies! lol, but seriously. A year ago the tank I posted was just a bunch of small encrusting frags. Most of my SPS started taking off around the year mark. Now I need a bigger tank...
shark tank no GIF by Shark Week

OP
OP
Sargeeq

Sargeeq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to have another Marine on here. Were you a grunt or a POG?
POG that spent 14 of his 18 years with the infantry. Loved Division, I retired in part because I was promoted to many times to remain with the grunts and they made me fly a desk. So I gave them my walking papers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back