Seneye and Par readings.

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through some of the other threads, and I think my questions are still valid so I am going to post it.

On Sunday, my wife and I spent some time going through and putting the seneye in various spots in the tank where I know that coral is going to be placed eventually. During the course of this exercise We both found the readings to be bouncing all over the place, and it was not repeatable or seemed dependable. I would place the seneye on the spot we wanted to get a measurement of and we would get a 50 to 100 point bounce in the reading, nothing was consistent and it was generally all over the place.

The lighting in the tank is 4 5' t-5 fixtures, and 3 Kessil A360's, I would not think that the seneye would be affected by the shimmer produced by the Kessils but I guess any thing is possible.

I dont mind either renting or purchasing another device, but I would like to hear some feedback of how stable the readings are from other devices out there.

Thanks in advance.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have surface agitation on the water? This will definitely give erratic "live" readings. Have you tried letting the Seneye just sit in one place for a few minutes to get the average reading from the graph?

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have surface agitation on the water? This will definitely give erratic "live" readings. Have you tried letting the Seneye just sit in one place for a few minutes to get the average reading from the graph?
So the pumps were on, there is some surface movement. We should have shut the pumps off, I really did not think of that at the time. We did let the Seneye sit for a period of time I would not call it minutes but maybe up to one minute. These readings were really all over the place it was pretty bad.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the ripples act like a magnifying glass passing over. So like you said, try turning the pumps off and let the tank settle if you want to read it live or you could let it sit at each place for about 15 minutes and then read the graph to get a good average.

OP
OP
Freddy0144

Freddy0144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the ripples act like a magnifying glass passing over. So like you said, try turning the pumps off and let the tank settle if you want to read it live or you could let it sit at each place for about 15 minutes and then read the graph to get a good average.
Hey, I wanted to follow up and thank you, I killed the return pumps for about an hour and remeasured the tank, huge difference in the results. Readings were nice and stable only fluctuating a point or two. I was able to estable a good base line, and a little surprised that my results were less than 300 at the high parts of the tank under the kessils, but the sand bed near the pane front of glass was like 250. I recalled watching a BRS video on how the light refracts and it makes sense, I will have to remember that I cant place new corals there or they are going to get toasted.

Thanks again.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 132 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back