Seneye Reef vs. Apogee SQ-200

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oha, I just got a Seneye Reef and measured the PAR of my tank. Before that, I determined a value of 420 PAR with my old Apogee MQ-200. I have this value with 1.08 and am at 453 .. a bit high .. The Seneye determined over 800 PAR at the same point! is the part broken or just garbage?

best regards..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the MQ-200
Seneye is not cosine corrected so very directional in response.
I found the seneye really doesn't do well at short distances from a light source.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of years ago the Seneye was spot on. More recently the outcome is twice as high. We don't know the cause yet. Maybe a bug introduced in a specific firmwareupdate?

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is a firmware bug. Otherwise my device could have simply been fixed with an update.
I have been in contact with Seneye recently because of my defective device. The service is really super good !! In any case, they assume a defect and send me a new device that unfortunately has been stuck here at customs for days. I hope that I will get it someday.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Parkers reefs youtube channel, he did a par meter test off, seems that seneye is consistently 2x the actual value
Many including myself have confirmed this. It went wrong around 2-3 years ago because older tests than that showed the Seneye was spot on.

I can think of two causes: they use a different sensor in more recent models (and didn't make adjustments in the firmware for those), or there has been a firmware update which screwed up the readings, regardless how old your model is.

Ideally we should find feedback from owners with an older (more than 2-3 years) model.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F
Many including myself have confirmed this. It went wrong around 2-3 years ago because older tests than that showed the Seneye was spot on.

I can think of two causes: they use a different sensor in more recent models (and didn't make adjustments in the firmware for those), or there has been a firmware update which screwed up the readings, regardless how old your model is.

Ideally we should find feedback from owners with an older (more than 2-3 years) model.
Feedback from older ones would be great, a brs followup test would be awesome too.

I know my results are bs, because otherwise my elegance would be thriving under 400 par

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F

Feedback from older ones would be great, a brs followup test would be awesome too.

I know my results are bs, because otherwise my elegance would be thriving under 400 par
Please comment in the BRS video on Youtube. I did recently but got no response yet, maybe they will if more people react.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some owners of older Seneye's and according them they are fine, showing similar value's as Apogee.
So only the more recent models show the issue.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it gets repaired. The reason i purched one was to minitor ammonia during the cycle and set my lights after the cycle was done. My cycle is done and I was going to do par test this weekend.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully it gets repaired. The reason i purched one was to minitor ammonia during the cycle and set my lights after the cycle was done. My cycle is done and I was going to do par test this weekend.
I got mine only for the par meter haha.
I just halved the result I got, seemed to work so far

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok now.
New seneye is garbage. I own apogee mq210 and it's spot on with mq510.

I don't know what they did to the new ones but I know for a fact that the old ones performed better.

Maybe they should recall them all and give everyone thier money back

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par function is still usable, just divide the value you read by 2. So if the shown value is 400 the real par is 200.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Par function is still usable, just divide the value you read by 2. So if the shown value is 400 the real par is 200.
Then it's not worth the $200 you pay for it if you have to work for it and guess what the values are!!
You can get yourself an mq210 for $275 and be done with it. Just my opinion.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Then it's not worth the $200 you pay for it if you have to work for it and guess what the values are!!
You can get yourself an mq210 for $275 and be done with it. Just my opinion.
I'm not endorsing any brandJust a fellow reefer here with experience with multiple par meters that's all!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back