Seneye Reef vs. Apogee SQ-200

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I am even more confused. After adjusting my lights to the BRS recommended spectrum and intensity, I have found that some of the readings are indeed almost double what is shown in the video. Others are around1.5 times higher, and then other readings are within 10-20 points. o_O

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now I am even more confused. After adjusting my lights to the BRS recommended spectrum and intensity, I have found that some of the readings are indeed almost double what is shown in the video. Others are around1.5 times higher, and then other readings are within 10-20 points. o_O
Keep in mind the seneye is very directional.
Unlike cosine corrected meters.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that is still the case with the V6, because when i asked Seneye what has changed from V4 > V6 they said one part has changed. They didn't say which part, just one part. Maybe the sensor? :)

Wasn't there someone in this thread who has both, a V2 and a V6? Do you see changes in the par sensor?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True - easiest way to solve this would be to buy any of the 3d printed holders or make one out of pvc pipe. The later is what I did. Cut a 90 elbow and it is consistent now.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isn't it so that for a correct reading with a directional sensor like the one in the Seneye, you will need to aim it to the light (in case you're measuring more towards the corners)?
If you place the Seneye in some kind of holder with a stick it's always horizontal.

I just keep it in my hand so i can always aim to the light.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be beneficial to know what changes/improvements they have made across the versions.

My V2 is about 3 years old and the ammonia sensor is stuck on. I have been contemplating getting a replacement, but not fully decided yet. I typically dont have a slide installed and not sure how much the reading is affected by it. Plus the ammonia reading is the least important to me. The rest of the device still functions.

They sell replacement Suds for $76, which seams fair. Not sure of any other aquarium product manufacturer that does the same. Out of warranty replacements typically cost you full price.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isn't it so that for a correct reading with a directional sensor like the one in the Seneye, you will need to aim it to the light (in case you're measuring more towards the corners)?
If you place the Seneye in some kind of holder with a stick it's always horizontal.

I have mine zip tied to PVC with a 90 degree on the end as well. It allows the sensor to be angled to get the maximum PAR reading.

Here's what I use, the Seneye goes facing up on the short piece. Disregard the pump, I also use it to blow off my rocks. I pull the 90 off for that purpose.

20210919_184027.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a version 4 with firmware 4.0.6. I was getting what I thought were reasonable PAR figures for my two Hydra 32 lights, but now am really questioning the readings. If they are actually half of what I am reading, then really would want to crank them up some. It sure would be nice to get a definitive answer on this firmware version.
At this point, looking at everything on the page, there definitely is a firmware issue and updates for all the newer gen sensors. Just cross reference your gen, (4) with the listed firmware fixes. Then you will know if yours is in the right range or not. Other option is to update to the newest firmware for your gen and be sure your getting the right readings.

Due to what I've read in this thread I now feel ok again to order one for myself. After the issues with the new sensor started popping up I postponed ordering.

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That would explain a lot if this is how you are to use it. I purchased one of the 3d printed holders and take all readings with the sensor straight up and down. No pointing towards the light. Hmmm.. have I been doing it wrong?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would explain a lot if this is how you are to use it. I purchased one of the 3d printed holders and take all readings with the sensor straight up and down. No pointing towards the light. Hmmm.. have I been doing it wrong?
If your center measurements (straight under the light) were in the same ballpark as BRS and the off center not then you know the reason. You will need to point the sud to the light then when measuring off center.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know if anyone has gotten ahold of seneye. Have they said anything definitive as to which releases and versions work and which do not I reached out via email on Friday but have not heard back with a response.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know if anyone has gotten ahold of seneye. Have they said anything definitive as to which releases and versions work and which do not I reached out via email on Friday but have not heard back with a response.
Well they responded but did not answer my question about releases and firm ware levels. Just asked me to detail the problem I was having with my device and include pictures. Sounds like they avoided the question although it could have just been a automated computer AI type of response.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they responded but did not answer my question about releases and firm ware levels. Just asked me to detail the problem I was having with my device and include pictures. Sounds like they avoided the question although it could have just been a automated computer AI type of response.
I believe others have had better responses then you, seeing we know of at least 3 firm ware fixes for 3 different gen sensors, and at least 1 person had seneye install a firmware while on the phone with them and their sensor plugged into a computer.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe others have had better responses then you, seeing we know of at least 3 firm ware fixes for 3 different gen sensors, and at least 1 person had seneye install a firmware while on the phone with them and their sensor plugged into a computer.
Okay good to know Thanks. I was hoping to get an official response to know if my version and release was affected. So far I just got what I think is a computer response with no information sent out a email last Friday. I have an LPS tank set up for about 2 years stuff lives but no growth. So I am wondering I initially set up my Kessil 360xs based BRS testing. Then I sprung for the par meter and I was to high per the Seneye (by quite a bit) been like this for 8 months. Do not want to spend money on a new meter particularly if all I need is and update to firm ware.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good to know Thanks. I was hoping to get an official response to know if my version and release was affected. So far I just got what I think is a computer response with no information sent out a email last Friday. I have an LPS tank set up for about 2 years stuff lives but no growth. So I am wondering I initially set up my Kessil 360xs based BRS testing. Then I sprung for the par meter and I was to high per the Seneye (by quite a bit) been like this for 8 months. Do not want to spend money on a new meter particularly if all I need is and update to firm ware.
I'd say you from reading the entire thread that you need an updated firmware. And can find out which one by going back through the thread.
Additionally if you have the lights set up the same height ect as brs then I'd find out what the settings were their recommended, compared to where you are. Then over the course of 2 months slowly ramp back up to their settings. Even if you get the new firmware, be sure to slowly ramp back up over about 2 months so you don't bleach out your lps.

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say you from reading the entire thread that you need an updated firmware. And can find out which one by going back through the thread.
Additionally if you have the lights set up the same height ect as brs then I'd find out what the settings were their recommended, compared to where you are. Then over the course of 2 months slowly ramp back up to their settings. Even if you get the new firmware, be sure to slowly ramp back up over about 2 months so you don't bleach out your lps.
Yeah I seem to be in the middle I have version 4 with firmware 4.0.4 they say I need 4.0.8 but they moved up from 4.0.6 so who knows. Brs setting are a little tricky they used two lights over a 4ft tank I have three plus my tank is only 20 inches deep not 24. I did the math to adjust it when I first set it but who know how linear the relationship. Thats why I got the par meter.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I seem to be in the middle I have version 4 with firmware 4.0.4 they say I need 4.0.8 but they moved up from 4.0.6 so who knows. Brs setting are a little tricky they used two lights over a 4ft tank I have three plus my tank is only 20 inches deep not 24. I did the math to adjust it when I first set it but who know how linear the relationship. Thats why I got the par meter.
Sounds like you need to do the 4.0.8 update and see if your measurements change. 1 person said they had to reboot the program after updating but not sure if they mean close it out and restart the program or the entire system

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to do the 4.0.8 update and see if your measurements change. 1 person said they had to reboot the program after updating but not sure if they mean close it out and restart the program or the entire system
yeah if only it was available. can not get anyone from Seneye to help. The auto update only reinstalls 4.0.4.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah if only it was available. can not get anyone from Seneye to help. The auto update only reinstalls 4.0.4.
Read back through and ask the people who got the update already how to get yours.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back