Seneye vs PMK

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point where I feel like I would benefit from getting a par meter of some kind. I'd prefer not to spend as much as an apogee costs but I'm fine spending up to $300 or so. This has led me to narrow my search down to the seneye or the apex pmk.
I know there are reviews from the seneye from several years ago that show it almost perfectly matching an apogee, but I've been reading that recently the seneye is reading around double what it should for no know reason. For the apex PMK the only negative that I've seen is that it takes a minute to update the reading in fusion which could be frustrating when trying to "map" the par in your tank.
What does everyone reccomend, and are there any other options that I'm missing in a my price range?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the PMK and it does what I need it to do. Allows me to observe changes when playing with my lights and getting them set up. I gauge a lot of my
Placement based on my par readings from the PMK and with that, it leaves out the guess work for me. I’m confident with it. I can say that I recently changed out my lighting from 3 Primes to 2 Hydras and just by looking at it there wasn’t that much of a difference but the PMK let me know that my par with the Hydras was twice as powerful than the Primes. Without that my corals would have probably told me but then again there may have been a chance of killing them due to the stress of such a high par.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with @Jason Yahr. Not to mention that you can leave the PMK run 24x7 and get a good graph of your PAR levels at various points during the day. The included ASM module also has an additional temperature probe port so I used this to drop another Neptune temperature probe in the display portion of my tank (so I now have a sump and tank reading).

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Reef man 89 has one up for sale here also for a good price Act fast because it may not last.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree with @Jason Yahr. Not to mention that you can leave the PMK run 24x7 and get a good graph of your PAR levels at various points during the day. The included ASM module also has an additional temperature probe port so I used this to drop another Neptune temperature probe in the display portion of my tank (so I now have a sump and tank reading).
I won't lie, the thought of having an additional I/O port from the ASM is an added perk. I probably wouldn't leave the sensor in the tank permanently. I would probably use it to get readings and then take it out.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't lie, the thought of having an additional I/O port from the ASM is an added perk. I probably wouldn't leave the sensor in the tank permanently. I would probably use it to get readings and then take it out.
I've opted to place it in permanently, as it's another failsafe I can program into the Neptune should the other temperature probe fail for any reason.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been in my tank since I bought it almost a year ago. Kind of integrated into rock work so it’s not noticeable but I also did make a pvc wand for it. No issues with leaving in tank if that’s what you are implying. Or you would rather just use to get par

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've opted to place it in permanently, as it's another failsafe I can program into the Neptune should the other temperature probe fail for any reason.
I would plan on leaving the module always hooked up, I just wouldn't plan on leaving the sensor in the tank permanently.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan on leaving the module always hooked up, I just wouldn't plan on leaving the sensor in the tank permanently.
I was considering getting another temp probe to hook up to that port. I guess that makes sense to add another failsafe.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those who have used the PMK, have you ever been able to verify its reading with any other meter? Also has it ever given you a reason to question its reading as not being accurate?
If you leave it in the tank is there not any issues with coralline algea growing on the sensor?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes sense I haven’t utilized the extra port but with an extra temp probe it’s just another failsafe. May have to buy one

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with coralline algae here. I bribe there is some kind of coating to prevent that. I have not been able to test readings against another meter so can’t say. Only time I lose readings is when my snails are on it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with coralline algae here. I bribe there is some kind of coating to prevent that. I have not been able to test readings against another meter so can’t say. Only time I lose readings is when my snails are on it.
Yeah, they seem to all flock to the “big giant eyeball”.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point where I feel like I would benefit from getting a par meter of some kind. I'd prefer not to spend as much as an apogee costs but I'm fine spending up to $300 or so. This has led me to narrow my search down to the seneye or the apex pmk.
I know there are reviews from the seneye from several years ago that show it almost perfectly matching an apogee, but I've been reading that recently the seneye is reading around double what it should for no know reason. For the apex PMK the only negative that I've seen is that it takes a minute to update the reading in fusion which could be frustrating when trying to "map" the par in your tank.
What does everyone reccomend, and are there any other options that I'm missing in a my price range?
The seneye reading double is a faulty unit or user error

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seneye reading double is a faulty unit or user error
Ok I hadnt read that anywhere. The only issue I see with this is that if I buy a seneye and I have nothing to compare it to, then there isn't a way (as far as I know) for me to know if it is reading double or not. So to make sure I didnt get a faulty unit I would need to rent a better meter to verify its results?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I hadnt read that anywhere. The only issue I see with this is that if I buy a seneye and I have nothing to compare it to, then there isn't a way (as far as I know) for me to know if it is reading double or not. So to make sure I didnt get a faulty unit I would need to rent a better meter to verify its results?
I have one. Works well. Manufacturers data is good guidance.
Think about it if it is off by 10% who cares? You need guide numbers and weather it is 100par or 110par will not matter.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Works well. Manufacturers data is good guidance.
Think about it if it is off by 10% who cares? You need guide numbers and weather it is 100par or 110par will not matter.
I'm using cheap viparspectra lights so manufacturer data isn't really available. I was given a par chart from another user on here so I do have something to go by. I agree a small difference is insignificant, but I was reading about the seneye being double which is unacceptable IMO.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back