!!!SERIOUS MARKET RESEARCH!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Shopping cart reminder emails

• Total voters

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan. Like above chances are if I abandoned the cart it was for a good reason. I hate having to delete things just so I don't get an email.

Often sticker shock after going "oh I want that one, and that one, and that one" and I just didn't have the heart or will to pare it down.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have been known to be shopping and get distracted by something in my tank and then completely forget about the items in my cart. The reminder emails are generally appreciated by me. However, I won't think less of you if you turn this "feature" off as it clearly annoys most people.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U

User1

View Badges
I just happened upon this thread as and will say that I've personally never purchased from you so take this as an outsider on that front but one who does shop online. I voted no.

Why? I think it is invasive or intrusive or a bit like big brother (not the reality TV show) if that makes sense. There are a couple online stores that do this and it really bothers me two of which are the larger reef shops most frequently used. Even one of the smaller players did it and I recently provided similar feedback.

Good to see owners looking at it but also keep in mind, which I'm sure you already are, that this is going to be just a subset of your actual buyers and I know a few people who actually use them as reminders oddly enough. But since you asked, and there was a vote, I figured I'd just give you another perspective.

Hope you have a great day!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seems like 1 email reminder is the industry standard. More than that is a hassle... Edit - and many companies that send a reminded email offer 5 % or 10% off if you decide to complete the purchase.

In fact some 'financial guru' said one day - that it might be best to leave something in your cart - so you get a lower price offer.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just happened upon this thread as and will say that I've personally never purchased from you so take this as an outsider on that front but one who does shop online. I voted no.

Why? I think it is invasive or intrusive or a bit like big brother (not the reality TV show) if that makes sense. There are a couple of online stores that do this and it really bothers me two of which are the larger reef shops most frequently used. Even one of the smaller players did it and I recently provided similar feedback.

Good to see owners looking at it but also keep in mind, which I'm sure you already are, that this is going to be just a subset of your actual buyers and I know a few people who actually use them as reminders oddly enough. But since you asked, and there was a vote, I figured I'd just give you another perspective.

I hope you have a great day!

I'm with you 100% and thanks a lot for the post. I have a junk email address just for all those places that require an email for a single purchase. within a day or so, like clockwork, I'll get random spammy emails from whatever the vendor is. Not talking about just reef related stuff. I honestly hate when my real email starts getting bogged down with that stuff. Somehow Home Depot got my email address and it was like rapid fire junk till I finally blocked them lol. That nonsense drives me nuts and I want no part in doing the same to my customers.

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not really. Just curious about whether or not people actually appreciate shopping cart reminder emails, or if like me, you see it pretty much like spam. Which I truly can't stand.

I've been on the fence about these things too long and would prefer to pull the plug unless there's any general consensus that you guys want them crowding up your inboxes. I mean has anyone actually got a reminder, went back and finished the order, and if so was that the driving force behind your decision to go ahead and order?

I thought a simple poll will help in the decision-making process.

Screenshot 2019-07-10 09.52.18.png
Not a fan.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is like begging for money to me. Always reminds me a vendor only really cares about their bottom line. Seems insulting to think I need the vendor’s help to manage my purchasing.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the grief I'll get from my wife, remembered her birthday/anniversary is coming up and I haven't bought a gift,
LOL, now Adam, maybe you can work on stopping reminders from wives next, LOL.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use analytics software on the back end of your website? Most email campaign plugins and such can link to Google analytics and track the percentage of successful leads. I'm assuming youre using some sort of content management system like woo commerce, magento, Shopify etc.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only like it when it comes with a percent off coupon but people catch on to that ;) A place I buy pods from sent me an email about my cart items with a coupon for that specific cart.

Otherwise I know it's in the cart...shhh.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they have a coupon code with them...
You took my reply. :)

One thing that would be helpful is a "let me know when this is available" tag/reminder for items out of stock. For instance, BC has a pack of corals I'm interested in, but current status is "out of stock".

And for those that sell nubs, a "let me know when something chunky is available" tag/reminder.

lostcause

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as email reminders go I get busy. I'm a mom, a wife, and a college student. I also work part time at two jobs. So sending me a reminder email once or maybe twice no problem. Anything more than that feels excessive.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the rest, not helpful and doesn’t drive the sale. HOWEVER, if I am in your shoes as a business owner, I’d want to see the analytics behind it in terms of how many people abandon the purchase process and most importantly on which screen. Is it after shipping is displayed? Is it during extensive “guest” registration? Is it after they read return policies? Lack of paypal linkage? Etc etc. Because each data point can give you a unique insight on what to do to drive sales by simplifying the experience. Remember, the best companies out there, big and small, have followed the “doing should be easier than thinking”. Is shipping too expensive, Are they forced to walk to their wallets to pull credit card data since paypal isnt available, is the checkout process too burdensome, etc. you can then analyze the data and decide where you are turning off customers who create those abandoned baskets.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agree with the rest, not helpful and doesn’t drive the sale. HOWEVER, if I am in your shoes as a business owner, I’d want to see the analytics behind it in terms of how many people abandon the purchase process and most importantly on which screen. Is it after shipping is displayed? Is it during extensive “guest” registration? Is it after they read return policies? Lack of paypal linkage? Etc etc. Because each data point can give you a unique insight on what to do to drive sales by simplifying the experience. Remember, the best companies out there, big and small, have followed the “doing should be easier than thinking”. Is shipping too expensive, Are they forced to walk to their wallets to pull credit card data since paypal isnt available, is the checkout process too burdensome, etc. you can then analyze the data and decide where you are turning off customers who create those abandoned baskets.

Hi, there thanks a lot for the post. Really good info. This is something I could definitely improve on. I do have some great analytics for the site but I can't say that I've ever really delved into them.

Gray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many others have stated we are usually aware of the items left in the cart. I never open them cause I know what I left in the cart, it’s like y wishlist sometimes.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back