OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all kind words. So here is what took the wind out of my sails. (I'll spare the pictures, although I have them) I've had tanks since 97. I've moved fish from Detroit to Columbus Oh, To Baltimore and then to Dallas Fort Worth. My clown that I had in Detroit also made it into this tank. My friend had similar mature fish that ranged from 15 to 7-8 years old. When my friend moved to California, I ended up with his fish. At that time, I only had a 400 gallon tank, so I was able to put in a few of the fish into the 400 while another friend of mine had an empty 280 gallon. I filled that tank up too. The house took way longer than it should have for various reasons. After about 4 years of having all of these fish without incident, I was finally able to put them into my system. The tank was cycled and seeded with various bacterial products. It still hadn't gone through its phase of diatoms etc. I had to get the fish out of the 400 gallon anyway because we were putting the other house into contract and the buyer didn't want anything to do with a 400 gallon aquarium. I transferred all of the fish into the 1000 gallon on the same day. Everything was great. No animosity. Plenty of swimming room. About 6-7 weeks later, I noticed the regal tang have some small white dots on it. After discussion with multiple people the general idea was that it was an indolent ick break out and would eventually clear. Sadly I had no way at the time to hospitalize 40-50 fish. Well in about a week everyone was dead EXCEPT, the original fish that showed disease, a Sailfin tang, a file fish and my regal angel!!!! The fact that that fish made it is amazing. I only wish my vlamingi tang would have made it. Losing that fish was a tough as losing a dog. Super smart, engaging,and emotional ( he would love to see me; he would swim to the glass bob his head up to the surface until I petted his forehead ). I'm still torn up over that and it's been about 9 months now. So my current idea is to wait until the reef is packed with corals and start putting in new fish. I would have put in a Gem Tang last week but I'm super paranoid that there is a latent velvet infection in the system and the fish are resistant or subclinical. If that is the case, the more of a stable system, the better a new fish will do. I've ordered a filter so I can post some decent pictures of some of my corals!

Things I still need to do:
1) plumb the frag tank into the system
2) Plumb and cycle my QT tank for my fish

The tank is doing exceptionally well. I have recently added some great show pieces to it! I can't wait to share them!

Ryan

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww man, sorry for your losses. They do indeed each have a personality of their own. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on with the positive. The system is doing very well. The game plan is to wait until the reef is VERY established and there are some hiding spots on the reef for new fish. Here are some shots
5506efc33463eda6fb9d6ec1ae225943.jpg
IMG_2027.JPG
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2052.JPG
IMG_2054.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2034.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for the losses friend. Glad to see the tank is boucing back and looking good!

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Have any of those corals been growing out in this tank yet or did you transfer all of them that size? Nothing compared to your upgrade, but it's taken almost a year for my tank to look semi-full again after moving over all the corals when I went from 190 gallons to 350. I hated the waiting...

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Have any of those corals been growing out in this tank yet or did you transfer all of them that size? Nothing compared to your upgrade, but it's taken almost a year for my tank to look semi-full again after moving over all the corals when I went from 190 gallons to 350. I hated the waiting...

I started completely over again with the exception of the cephastrea and the two chalice corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back