OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOPEFULLY, things will start to take shape with this soon. The builder that I contracted with is sadly for us a borderline criminal. I've been trying to stay out of court and get this house done. The good news is that I think I see light, the bad news is he is an A55H013 :) The FRP has been installed in the room. I wanted to have the walls completely waterproof and that was the best way to go. The tank has been sitting on the stand in the room for what seems like years. It will need to be moved into place, however I expect that next week the front access panel will be fabricated and the lift with the actuators will be installed. Thats sounds really great, but the builder failed to listen to the requirements of the build. This as well as another project in the house will have to have a "best solution". To have the actuators exposed to the NaCl water isn't a best solution to me. And to think, I vetted this guy.

The front of it will have removable stone fixed to these steel beams. This will provide the ability to place the catwalk into the wall.

Once the actuator and the access panel is in place, the tank should be moved into place and I can get it cleaned out and start to plumb the thing. So last year, I ended up buying 2 Hammerhead and 1 Dart Gold Hybrid pumps for the instal. I have opted to go with Abyzz for the quality, performance, warranty and efficiency and energy use. Looks like I'll have 3 pumps in the box to sell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My to do list:

1) Plumb the system
-Plumb my penductor return ala Marc

-Install my 3 Sea Sweeps into the return
-Design Manifold
I will need to figure out if I am going to plan for future use Biopellets/Nitrate reactor/GFO/Carbon Reactor etc. I am on the considering getting the Pax Vellum ARID Filter, but I'm not so hot on dosing iron, molybdenum, and iron to maximize cheato growth and nutrient export.
-plumb in my frag tank and reservoir.
-plumb in the surge system

2) Prepare Rock
-Acid bath and finish drilling spare rock
I have accumulated 100's of pounds of dry rock over the past decade. I plan on designing columnar pillars. I have about 1/3 of it predrilled.
-run lanthanum chloride on all rock
-Build pillars

3) Wet test the tank

4) Test my R/O Waste lines (more on that later)

5) Cycle the tank

6) Design and fabricate my lighting rack
-I've flip flopped on this more than a politician. I need to figure out what lights I'm going to use. I have T5's, 400W MH and 10 LED fixtures. I will have to figure this one out, but I'm probably gonna run a hybrid.

7) Install my controller
- I am one of the few American's with a Profilux. I have the room pre wired with Multiple Ethernet ports for the PAB access cables. This will allow me to connect various powerbars and other controller features behind the walls :)

8) Set up the water change system.
- I have a 100 gallon/day Stenner industrial pump that I will need to plumb into my conical NaCl water tank. I'm one of those people that only has one tank for water changes. I didn't want to use precious space to store r/o water.

9) I am going to use my existing frag tank for now. I will need to give it a total overall with a wire brush drill bit and about 20 cans of rust-o-leum. In the future, I may upgrade to a bigger frag tank.

10) Build and plumb in my coral and fish QT tank

11) Build and install a work station.

12) Build understand storage on the far left hand side of the tank.

And that doesn't even include the moving of my livestock, corals and equipment in my current 400 gallon, (treating my current rock) and demolition of my current fish room that takes up 1/2 of my garage. I've got too much to do.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the turtle has moved a bit. Here is a shot of the front access panel with the actuators. I was planning on paining the galvanized steel with epoxy paint, however there isn't a primer that will stick to the metal. I think that I will need to use a clear laminated adhesive to put over the metal. I will also have to come up with an enclosed box for the actuators to hide in. On the back of the stand is a hinge the will allow for a catwalk platform to raise up and down. When I'm not using it, I will be able to retract the support beams and let the panel swing down perpendicular to the top of the stand.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house HVAC system is Geothermal. There is a designated well for the room. I have an air exchanger to deal with any humidity issues.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a view of the back of the 1000 gallon tank into the fish room. The idiot builders placed uneven pressed particulate plywood under the tank. They'll have to figure out how to lift the tank up and place the sheet of HDPE and foam under the tank. Once that happens, I'll finally get a chance to see if it still holds water and then plumb it.

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Ryan. Sorry to hear about the troubles. That is awful. Glad to see the progress though.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh wow this is amazing! JEALOUS!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a great rock drilling tutorial!

My to do list:

1) Plumb the system
-Plumb my penductor return ala Marc

-Install my 3 Sea Sweeps into the return
-Design Manifold
I will need to figure out if I am going to plan for future use Biopellets/Nitrate reactor/GFO/Carbon Reactor etc. I am on the considering getting the Pax Vellum ARID Filter, but I'm not so hot on dosing iron, molybdenum, and iron to maximize cheato growth and nutrient export.
-plumb in my frag tank and reservoir.
-plumb in the surge system

2) Prepare Rock
-Acid bath and finish drilling spare rock
I have accumulated 100's of pounds of dry rock over the past decade. I plan on designing columnar pillars. I have about 1/3 of it predrilled.
-run lanthanum chloride on all rock
-Build pillars

3) Wet test the tank

4) Test my R/O Waste lines (more on that later)

5) Cycle the tank

6) Design and fabricate my lighting rack
-I've flip flopped on this more than a politician. I need to figure out what lights I'm going to use. I have T5's, 400W MH and 10 LED fixtures. I will have to figure this one out, but I'm probably gonna run a hybrid.

7) Install my controller
- I am one of the few American's with a Profilux. I have the room pre wired with Multiple Ethernet ports for the PAB access cables. This will allow me to connect various powerbars and other controller features behind the walls :)

8) Set up the water change system.
- I have a 100 gallon/day Stenner industrial pump that I will need to plumb into my conical NaCl water tank. I'm one of those people that only has one tank for water changes. I didn't want to use precious space to store r/o water.

9) I am going to use my existing frag tank for now. I will need to give it a total overall with a wire brush drill bit and about 20 cans of rust-o-leum. In the future, I may upgrade to a bigger frag tank.

10) Build and plumb in my coral and fish QT tank

11) Build and install a work station.

12) Build understand storage on the far left hand side of the tank.

And that doesn't even include the moving of my livestock, corals and equipment in my current 400 gallon, (treating my current rock) and demolition of my current fish room that takes up 1/2 of my garage. I've got too much to do.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back