OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah the thread title is misleading as the tank grew from the original size. It is a 10X5x2 and 2/3 tank.

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we're talkin! So if my math is right almost 1000gal!
I am planning a similar sized project but am at the stage you were when you started this thread. Can't wait to see how you build out your fish room.
You ended up going all glass tank correct?

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, 1000 gallons. I wasn't about to pony up 18K for a fiberglass tank. I'm wondering if that was a mistake. It will look super sexy from the fish room. I need more space in the fish room.

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the fish room?
Who built your glass tank? Happy with the quality of it?

I am leaning toward glass as well for the reasons you mention. Being able to see from the back will come in handy and will save about 30% over a waterdog fiberglass build.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Big Rock. You are in the same boat that I was in forever. I had multiple conversations with John Coppolino regarding fiberglass. My issue is the cost of shipping on top of the tank. It made the decision very easy. I have yet to see the tank. It's been crated since shipping and delivery. The room is 20x13. I wish I had about 2 more feet in depth.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup Big Rock. You are in the same boat that I was in forever. I had multiple conversations with John Coppolino regarding fiberglass. My issue is the cost of shipping on top of the tank. It made the decision very easy. I have yet to see the tank. It's been crated since shipping and delivery. The room is 20x13. I wish I had about 2 more feet in depth.

It's too bad you guys don't do basements in Texas. If you did, you would have an infinite amount of space for a fishroom. Tagging Along!

Reef Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow bus a movin'
The tile is down. The tank sits while I wait for the contractor to get the stand drawings right.

I'm just collecting equipment.

What skimmer is that?

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a trigger systems custom skimmer. They don't routinely make skimmers. I anticipate that I will actually get the stand this week. We want to finish out the front wall soon and hopefully actually move into this house.

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got more goodies!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1427415687.455619.jpg

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has has four stepper motor powered dosing heads that can dose down to 0.1ml at a time. I can daisy chain up to 16 pumps. It is controllable with a direct wifi connection via iOS, Android or MY GHL cloud software. There is a temperature port for monitoring the temperature of chilled coral foods for dosing, four 24vdc outputs for GHL’s forthcoming dedicated stirrers that you can add to your Kalkwasser or 2 part in addition to , an ethernet port, USB port, BNC connection and even a Firewire port. The doser's BNC connection allows you to set up an optical or float valve to allow you to perform automatic water changes. The software allows you to set a max and minimum volume of your containers for dosing elements. The doser will send you an alarm or message when you container is past a set point and you need to refill it. *happy reefer*

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got the stand fabricated. I'm pretty happy with it. It has front and rear cat walk capacity. The front access will have hidden panels in the rock facade. There is a number of home construction issues that need to happen first before the stand gets moved in and the tank is placed.

Bigrock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I really like the catwalk and how it's removable. What is the opening at the far end of stand for? How tall did you end up going with on the stand?

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

] The stand will keep the tank viewable at 38 inches from the floor to the bottom of the tank. The room is recessed 5 inches to account for any disaster leaks. The stand is 43 inches tall. The opening is for a 10 inch stand to put the sump on. The idea was to elevate the sump, place a ball valve and be able to dump the contents of the sump, squeegee out all the detritus with the water and let it go down the circular drain that you see above. That should help me keep a LNS as best that I can, not to mention the ease of water changes. I thought about putting an actuated ball valve so I could automate the water changes. I still may do that, but replacing it would be as bad as a box jelly fish stuck in your swim suit.

259e7f56bb282611d92d3af042548136.jpg

73782b5963864c89da391d9442c97a5e.jpg

Last edited:

20LogR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread needs an Update!! I heard great things about this build at MACNA over some Chipotle.

P.S… Woot 1st post

OP
OP
Servo

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this slow build has been one of the most painful experiences in my life. This construction has lasted 2 years with a summit of "issues". The aquarium has been the last thing on the builders mind and getting this room ready with the tank in place is nothing short of a small miracle. I haven't updated much because there hasn't been much to report and picture of the dry wall or the half finished FRP isn't too exciting.

Anyway, I did get some help on constructing my surge system. I am going to use a surge tank for extra flow. The size of the surge is limited by the space above the aquarium. I was going to use a 3 inch pipe, however after researching the cost of an 3 " actuated butterfly valve vs a 2 " actuated ball valve, I went with the option that will be easier to replace and plumb. I didn't want to have to deal with plumbing in a butterfly valve.

I wish I would have taken video of our adventures of lifting a 100 gallon acrylic tank up 15 feet into a small crawl space. The bottom line, is a pulley is an must have! :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back