set up plumbing questions

likemike99

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2010
Messages
364
Reaction score
193
Location
Pensacola, Fl
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I moved into a new house and am adding a new tank. (will be in another thread for the build). I found a good deal on a 180gal with dual overflows. each side has one big hole (1"?) and one smaller hole (3/4"?). it was set up for the smaller hole to be the drains and the larger holes for the return. Is this typical? Does it matter which size is the return? My other question is for the drains. would you a) set them both up as equal durso types? or b) set one up as a durso type and the other one as a herbie for overflow? or c) something different?
I had a 75gal about 10 years ago but it only had one drain/ return. been running a biocube the past few years due to moving alot, so this is my first venture in multiple.

thanks
 
that is what I was thinking about the sizes. I think I am going to take the easy way out and just use 2 durso drians. thanks for the inpuit
 
I would most likely set it up different and run returns over the side and set up a Herbie in both sides with the small pipe the siphon and the large the open drain.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new