Setting up 40g cube

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m setting up a cube and needed some advice on the equipment I would need. So the cube is 24x24 and it’s just the actual aquarium so I was planning to make a plastic cutout and add a sump section to the back of the tank. For a pump I found the “sicce 1.0” just get the water just flowing through all the back filtration it needs. (I’m in HS and this is currently a pretty tight budget build) but should I do a “1.5” or a “2.0”? Now for the main flow I’m in between 1 strong wavemaker (about 500-600 GPH) or 2 lower/medium power head (about 200-300 GHP) I’m leaning more towards 2 so I can place the on both sides to limit sots with little to no flow. Anyone with any advice is extremely appreciated (if this thread actually picks up I’ll continue asking about more like heaters, protein skimmers if there even should be one, etc)

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at doing a reef tank or fish only? That will better help decide on equipment and price of things.

Budget builds can be done for softies, LPS get a little more expensive with test kits, lighting, flow and possible dosing/water changes more often, and SPS get the most expensive.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at doing a reef tank or fish only? That will better help decide on equipment and price of things.

Budget builds can be done for softies, LPS get a little more expensive with test kits, lighting, flow and possible dosing/water changes more often, and SPS get the most expensive.
I’m looking to build a reef tank, I already have an AI Prime that will be transferred so lighting isn’t an issue I do want a few sps but I don’t know if I’d need another light or not.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to build a reef tank, I already have an AI Prime that will be transferred so lighting isn’t an issue I do want a few sps but I don’t know if I’d need another light or not.
The lighting is the most expensive part so you should be good. BRS has a video on the prime in a 18"x18" cube. Not sure what size yours is but that video could help with programming the prime. I believe if you got some easier sps that don't have all the light requirements as some of the harder ones you should be able to place them near the top of the tank and be fine.

For the flow I'd recommend 2 power heads if you're not going to get controllable ones. point them opposite of each other so you get some turbulent flow in the center of the tank.

Have you looked at drop in AIO compartments. You could probably find something premade and just silicone it into place. I'd recommend going with the 2.0 sicce pump. As the pump gets dirtier from use you gph will go down so having one that's a little over sized would help. If that's too expensive I'd at least spend the extra $10 and get the 1.5.

For the heater I use a hygger controllable heater in my nano and an ink bird with the brs heater in my 75.

A skimmer is helpful but they're not needed. I have one in my 75 and don't run one in my nano. Just watch your feeding, get more clean up crew, and do water changes more often to help with nutrients.

The biggest thing with a smaller tank is an ato if you dont already have one id invest in one. I use an aqua top nano in my nano tank and a tunze in my 75.

Hope this helps!

Back