Setting up QT

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow fishy folks! We had a gorgeous 125 (see build thread) about 2.5 years ago. Had multiple QT tanks set up for fish and corals. Long story short, we gave it up and sold almost everything due to my severe and prolonged medical issues. We did save the 40 breeder which had been our coral QT tank and kept one of our very large rocks, anemones and a few inverts. We only have a clown pair and a tang currently.

We have gotten a 110 gallon tank that we are getting ready to set up. We will be using the rocks and fish and some equipment from the current tank plus new rocks I have cycling currently.
I’m setting up a 20 long as a new QT tank and will be using a rock from the current system to cycle it, I may throw a couple sponges in the sump for a couple of days to put in the filter too.
Using this method how long should it take for the system to be ready for new fish? I would like to put three small fish in there as soon as it’s ready if you all think that’s not too many (I don’t want to cause an ammonia spike). I do have a HUGE job filter on it (rated for 75 g) so should have good aeration and turnover of water. Thoughts on fish were royal gramma, fairy wrasse, tail spot blenny.

Im going to set up a separate 10g as a hospital tank for fish requiring copper but am not going to use copper on everyone.
Thought? Advice? Other fish recommendations. Not at all stuck on getting the ones I mentioned. I had all of these except the tail spot in my old 125.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on prophylactically treating/medicating these fish?

If so, the rock won't give you too big of a boost as it will either need to come out, or will be sucking up copper.

I prefer swapping out a sponge bubble trap from a sump as starting bio for QT when possible.

That will be a small bioload in a large volume with aeration so I wouldn't be too worried about a large spike.

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of sponge is best? How long does it need to be in my current sump before I can put it into the HOB to cycle the new tank? I’ve used those big car sponges cut smaller before and I’ve seen foam mentioned. If I could find lets say foam toys would they be safe or loaded with chemicals?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do TTM for all fish. That way all fish would be treated for ich. And do regular 30+ days qurantine observation for corals, inverts, and live rock.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back