Setup prices

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i crazy or people are crazy. I be looking at wave pump, tank and sand and live rock let's say 35 gallon and people be pricing them at like $1000 what the heck is going on and i mean cheap tanks nothing crazy. Am i crazy or are they crazy. Is it something where ohh it's saltwater so it's gotta be priced so expensive for a bs setup and bs equipment. I know I'm not the only one that sees this alot on like Facebook marketplace

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i crazy or people are crazy. I be looking at wave pump, tank and sand and live rock let's say 35 gallon and people be pricing them at like $1000 what the heck is going on and i mean cheap tanks nothing crazy. Am i crazy or are they crazy. Is it something where ohh it's saltwater so it's gotta be priced so expensive for a bs setup and bs equipment. I know I'm not the only one that sees this alot on like Facebook marketplace
Depends on the make and model of the equipment.

i diy made my tank and by far the lights are the most expensive at 3-4k

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock can vary drastically in price.

As for equipment you have some who don't mind dropping several hundred on a powerhead and some who buy a $15 off-brand powerhead. There's a good middle ground on equipment. It's like anything in life. I'd never pay for something like an mp40 powerhead as that's simply ridiculous in my opinion (plus I don't like the design) but I also avoid those off brand wavemakers that might put things at risk (ex: reversing, stray voltage, rust).

The funny thing is when people try to resell things. People seem to want near what they payed for but almost no one wants to buy something used if they can get new for a close price. Plus, used electronics can be risky.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the make and model of the equipment.

i diy made my tank and by far the lights are the most expensive at 3-4k
What lights are you using at 3-4k for a 35 gallon tank. And i mean cheap knock off equipment and old tanks with no names on them.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People buy setups at full retail and don't seem to understand your gonna lose 40%+ when you resell it
This. The moment it hits saltwater, it lost 40% IMHO.

The prices on those overpriced 'name brand' tanks... Cavet empetor in this hobby.

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, my setup was around $140 - $170, 10 gal nano. The powerhead is an off brand, but it moves water, no rust because its plastic. My light grows corals, so it works.

Guns286

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just don’t get it. I was looking for a used 20g long tank to make my sump. A guy on Craigslist wanted $100 for one! Nothing else, just a used tank. I tried explaining that the general rule for a used glass tank is $1 a gallon, but he was CERTAIN he was going to get $100!

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, my setup was around $140 - $170, 10 gal nano. The powerhead is an off brand, but it moves water, no rust because its plastic. My light grows corals, so it works.
That's cool same with my 10 gallon but you're not going to sell me that for what you paid for it

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people just don’t get it. I was looking for a used 20g long tank to make my sump. A guy on Craigslist wanted $100 for one! Nothing else, just a used tank. I tried explaining that the general rule for a used glass tank is $1 a gallon, but he was CERTAIN he was going to get $100!
Exactly what i mean people are nuts
Screenshot_20220717-181700.png

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WB 55.2 its only 35.5 gallon display and you don't even want to know what I've put into it $$$$ I stopped keeping track after I passed 2k. I like my high end equipment and feel its well worth the investment. High clarity glass makes a big difference as well. But its not the only way to do it. Plenty of people on here go a more economical route and still achieve some stunning displays. I see the over priced equipment on fb marketplace all the time but occasionally come across an absolute steel for some amazing systems and equipment you just don't see it that often.
20220711_175851.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
technology has improved, inflation has hit the pet market, Many mergers and aquisitions in the industry and supply and demand have all impacted pricing. In some aspects , quality has improved, whereas, some items should never have been on the market.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a brand new 40B for $40 from a local seller. Not bad.

But I definitely see what you're saying about people still charging insane prices for used tanks. Like someone mentioned I think many are just casual hobbyist who likely bought everything new. We all know even basic rimmed tanks when new can be pricey. Being casual hobbyist they just don't realize how much a tank depreciates once it's been used. Others feel they paid so much so want to recoup as much back as they can.

I just mind my own business since there's no sense in trying to convince them to drop their price by 40-50%.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back