Severed leg from brittle star responds to me

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, tonight I was working in my little tank which is where I put things that are no longer welcome in my display (cough, maroon clowns, lemon damsel ... ) and I noticed in my display that there was half a leg from my brittle star just lying on the substrate. When I picked it up to get it out of the tank, the dang thing started wriggling and curling up - it responded to me.
I threw it in the small overflow tank and then got my daughter to film me picking it up and it responding to my touch.

Here is the brittle star before he was moved to my display

The leg has colour and is still responsive. I reckon it'll end up growing into another brittle star.

Pretty cool I reckon.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of just a leg replicating to another whole one. Ime they need part of the body but not sure how small a piece lol good luck!

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just fed the tank and the leg stretched out and moved around. I wonder if it knows it has no digestive system in its current state....
No, it doesn't know anything. Complete lack of a central nervous system will do that to you.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can confirm that the leg is still "alive" and that it has moved to live under the rocks so it's hard to capture on my phone. I can also confirm that the leg continues to respond to food in the tank!

I'll get some more footage tomorrow.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s crazy!! I always thought that the leg need part of the disk to survive. It’s like a gecko when they lose there tail it is moves because of the muscles contracting. Very strange that the leg is still responding to food.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight at feeding time I had another look. He definitely has some form of tissue or thing coming out of the leg where it was severed. This thing appears to be more prominent than yesterday.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Severed legs will wiggle for a while before eventually decomposing. I’ve never had one grow into a new star .... you need a piece of the central disc for that.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Severed legs will wiggle for a while before eventually decomposing. I’ve never had one grow into a new star .... you need a piece of the central disc for that.

Theres something at the top of the leg that looks like it was something more than just leg tissue - could that be part of the central disc?

This isn't just wiggling, its responsive.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres something at the top of the leg that looks like it was something more than just leg tissue - could that be part of the central disc?

This isn't just wiggling, its responsive.

Could be or it could just be the process of putrefaction. Just wait and see.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video and it looks to still be alive to me. After 4 days, I would expect it to have begun to decay if it wasn't. This has been interesting to watch.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brittle star himself came out last night and I could see that the leg has severed 2 - 3 inches from the main body, so theres no way that any of its central disc is attached to the severed leg.

Keesers

Captain Saltwater Pants
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F0389DA1-42A3-4CF0-8A69-216A018825B0.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back