Sexing lionfish

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've had alot of experience observing lionfish, especially in groups, you may take a well educated guess, but it will still be a guess. With the exception of the fuzzy, the males will have 6 or more bands on their pectoral fins, a female will have 4-6 bands, so ones with 6 bands can be a toss up. Some of the clues of determining the sex of the 6 band fuzzy and other lions is that the male will be larger, and have a larger more square head. Their pectoral fins will reach into the caudal peduncle while the female's pectoral fins will not reach pass the base of the caudal peduncle. These observations need to be with mature individuals, the dwarf being over 4.5-5", the medium bodied over 5", and the large ones over 7". A male fuzzy may display male bands smaller but to take a better guess at a female, she'll need to be close to 5", as some males are late bloomers.

Here's a male fuzzy, count the bands

20220617_180559.jpg

A verified male zebra, you ask how I verified, I dissected him after his death and visually observed his gonads. Notice the squarer head, there was also a bit if angst between him and two other male fuzzies that shared the tank over the years. Same species males seem to be more aggressive towards each, different species a little angst but not usually serious. Females tend to get along fine.

1655517600330.png

A suspected female zebra, notice the head a little more slanted and the pectoral fins fall well short of the caudal peduncle. She also hangs with the male fuzzy and there is never signs of angst. She is a good 5" and a good eater, but in relationship to other suspected males I've observed smaller in size at the same point.

20220617_180507.jpg

A verified female fu manchu, I visually observed her ovaries after death. It was pretty remarkable, she was with me over 8 years, her ovaries were all shriveled up from be an old girl. They live closer to the 10 year mark in the 10-15 average lifespan in the wild. The larger lions live closer to the 15 year mark. She was a big girl but notice her slanted head.

1655518626108.png

Remember this is all subjective as one person will see one thing, and another something different. Just a little entertainment and fun for the evening.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting this! It's always great to have as much info as possible. So you mentioned sexing them as mature individuals. Does this mean when they're juveniles they don't display any differences?

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very hard to see the differences as juvi's and some males as I mentioned are late bloomers. Sometimes one day after they reach maturity you'll look up and notice how square their head is., then you can suspect it is a male. Or notice how slanted the head is and figure it to be a female. You cant see the size differences until they are mature and as long as they all have a good appetite, you can see almost an inch difference between males and females, males being larger. But as I mentioned that verified female fu was a big girl but her head was very slanted and I always suspected she was a girl.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found a pic of this guy, a verified male volitan. Square head, long pectoral fins, and huge. This guy came from a friend's tank and collectively we kept him for about 13 years, he topped out at about 12". The females usually stay under 10" or just at max, in captivity. When they get around 7" you will usually start to see some more definitive differences, when you see a few together at that size or larger you can really see the differences in their head shape, body shape, and pectoral fins. The males get broader in the body as well. Visually sexing them is not an exact science, really just a guess, or maybe an educated guess at best.

1655592921253.png

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found a pic of this guy, a verified male volitan. Square head, long pectoral fins, and huge. This guy came from a friend's tank and collectively we kept him for about 13 years, he topped out at about 12". The females usually stay under 10" or just at max, in captivity. When they get around 7" you will usually start to see some more definitive differences, when you see a few together at that size or larger you can really see the differences in their head shape, body shape, and pectoral fins. The males get broader in the body as well. Visually sexing them is not an exact science, really just a guess, or maybe an educated guess at best.

1655592921253.png
Twelve inches?! Holy cow! He alone would more than fill my 5g tank (as a comparison to size). Who would think such beauty belies such lethality. :)

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little about compatibility, many believe lions are solitary and usually add only one to a tank. Whie they are fine to be the only lion, they really don't prefer to be the only fish in the tank. Lions are very social, you even see them hunting in packs in the wild. Your only concern about mixing lions is the male on male aggression. This can be serious within the same species in a tank too small. In a large enough tank with the proper scape to offer multiple caves and perching points, same species of males can even get along under close supervision. The females rarely give grief, and males of different species may do a little head butting, but it rarely turns violent. This is obviously in a properly sized tank, if you hear about any deadly encounters, it's almost always in a small tank and usually involves more mature individuals newly introduced. Maturity has alot to do with it, juveniles mostly easily get along, so be aware of the possible change in dimeanor as they mature.

1655846092628.png

1655846334714.png

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've had alot of experience observing lionfish, especially in groups, you may take a well educated guess, but it will still be a guess. With the exception of the fuzzy, the males will have 6 or more bands on their pectoral fins, a female will have 4-6 bands, so ones with 6 bands can be a toss up. Some of the clues of determining the sex of the 6 band fuzzy and other lions is that the male will be larger, and have a larger more square head. Their pectoral fins will reach into the caudal peduncle while the female's pectoral fins will not reach pass the base of the caudal peduncle. These observations need to be with mature individuals, the dwarf being over 4.5-5", the medium bodied over 5", and the large ones over 7". A male fuzzy may display male bands smaller but to take a better guess at a female, she'll need to be close to 5", as some males are late bloomers.

Here's a male fuzzy, count the bands

20220617_180559.jpg

A verified male zebra, you ask how I verified, I dissected him after his death and visually observed his gonads. Notice the squarer head, there was also a bit if angst between him and two other male fuzzies that shared the tank over the years. Same species males seem to be more aggressive towards each, different species a little angst but not usually serious. Females tend to get along fine.

1655517600330.png

A suspected female zebra, notice the head a little more slanted and the pectoral fins fall well short of the caudal peduncle. She also hangs with the male fuzzy and there is never signs of angst. She is a good 5" and a good eater, but in relationship to other suspected males I've observed smaller in size at the same point.

20220617_180507.jpg

A verified female fu manchu, I visually observed her ovaries after death. It was pretty remarkable, she was with me over 8 years, her ovaries were all shriveled up from be an old girl. They live closer to the 10 year mark in the 10-15 average lifespan in the wild. The larger lions live closer to the 15 year mark. She was a big girl but notice her slanted head.

1655518626108.png

Remember this is all subjective as one person will see one thing, and another something different. Just a little entertainment and fun for the evening.
How would you sex a Volitan/miles?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back