Sexy Shrimp Mating Issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter kitti-fish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kitti-fish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2024
Messages
468
Reaction score
537
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I was under the impression both my sexy shrimp were boys, but last night when I shined my light in to watch my snake coral, one of the shrimp releases a HUGE cluster of baby shrimp and was now twice the size of the other shrimp (I haven't seen them a lot as they host my corals and hide). I think this possibly ended the lives of all the little shrimp by spooking her and also all the coral got a snack. Is it an issue to keep the male/now female shrimp together? Tank is doing fine otherwise. No sight of any babies this morning.
 
Not an issue, spawning regularly (every molt) is a sign of good health. The babies are sort of slender and are folded up in the eggs, so a surprising looking volume comes from the half-a-grain-of-rice sized egg mass the female carries under her abdomen. I don't remember if sexy shrimp are one that could change sex - could explain two males becoming a male and a female - but at the very least, males are smaller, so a younger, less mature shrimp could just appear to be a male before it was fully grown.
 
Not an issue, spawning regularly (every molt) is a sign of good health. The babies are sort of slender and are folded up in the eggs, so a surprising looking volume comes from the half-a-grain-of-rice sized egg mass the female carries under her abdomen. I don't remember if sexy shrimp are one that could change sex - could explain two males becoming a male and a female - but at the very least, males are smaller, so a younger, less mature shrimp could just appear to be a male before it was fully grown.
Gotcha! Yes, babies were slender folded in half but moving. I am 100% sure the coral ate the up or they got sucked into my filtration. And probably so. Since they hide I don't always see them so when I spotted her she was twice the size as the male. I guess happy wife happy life so I'll keep doing what I'm doing to keep the inverts content.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new