SF Area Coral Shops

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Heading to San Fran. for a three day weekend next week (4/12-4/14). Can I get some suggestions on Coral Shops I don't want to miss? The wife is working all day Friday out there so I have a day to kill by myself. Figured I would check things out.

Also how long can I leave a LPS in a container before taking it home and putting it in the tank? Is is a bad idea to buy it Friday and fly home Sunday morning with it (48 hours)?

lwmnfrvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a rental car, and don't mind a 45 min drive check out Neptune Aquatics located at 1238 N. 5th street in San Jose.
You will not be disappointed its a very nice store.
The only draw back is that it's located in a commercial/industrial area and parking is limited.
Check out their website before you go. Neptuneaquatics.com

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Neptunes. Another one which would be closer to SF is Aquatic Collection in Hayward (1212 Winton Ave, Hayward), they have a good collection also.

If you don't want to travel out of SF, there's this place called 6th Avenue Aquarium (2317, 425 Clement Street, San Francisco), I wouldn't really buy from there, I go there strictly for amusement and if I'm just bored when I'm in San Francisco :D.

Goodluck, and enjoy your stay in SF!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right by Neptune is infinite aquarium. Best prices in the bay and friendly staff. If you go to Neptune deffinetly dip your corals.....

OP
OP
BGrand

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far great info. Staying in Sunny Vale and driving over to SF for the day while the wife works so I literally have all day to look around. Been to SF a lot so don't really need to do the touristy stuff. Saturday heading to wine country to stock up the Mrs' collection with a quick stop at the Pier farmers market in SF first.

Figured I would just go around and check out the reef shops. Anyone I could trust to buy from and not worry about contaminating my tank? I went with dry rock and I'm super particular about what I put in my tank. Only buy from my LFS in Indy (the Reef) and trust them a lot!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far great info. Staying in Sunny Vale and driving over to SF for the day while the wife works so I literally have all day to look around. Been to SF a lot so don't really need to do the touristy stuff. Saturday heading to wine country to stock up the Mrs' collection with a quick stop at the Pier farmers market in SF first.

Figured I would just go around and check out the reef shops. Anyone I could trust to buy from and not worry about contaminating my tank? I went with dry rock and I'm super particular about what I put in my tank. Only buy from my LFS in Indy (the Reef) and trust them a lot!!
7BFE7B35-14D2-49DF-81ED-BCE3CFF9D279.png

No way that’s where I live! Lol. Infinite aquarium is 10 mins from here, Neptune is 15. They open at 11, so I’d check out both then enjoy your day! Infinite has no pests which I love so you can trust their frags. There’s nothing over $100 in the store, such a good deal for what you get. Their $10 frag tanks are gold mines. They have space invader chalices for $10 now, tons of them, I saw on wwc they are selling for over $100 a frag now to give you an example of the deals to be had.

OP
OP
BGrand

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7BFE7B35-14D2-49DF-81ED-BCE3CFF9D279.png

No way that’s where I live! Lol. Infinite aquarium is 10 mins from here, Neptune is 15. They open at 11, so I’d check out both then enjoy your day! Infinite has no pests which I love so you can trust their frags. There’s nothing over $100 in the store, such a good deal for what you get. Their $10 frag tanks are gold mines. They have space invader chalices for $10 now, tons of them, I saw on wwc they are selling for over $100 a frag now to give you an example of the deals to be had.

SWEET! Thanks for the input.

How long can I keep the frags in the containers without harming them. Plan is to fly out early Sunday morning. Is 48 hours too long?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEET! Thanks for the input.

How long can I keep the frags in the containers without harming them. Plan is to fly out early Sunday morning. Is 48 hours too long?
That’s pretty long. If you’d be interested I could keep any frags you get in my coral qt, it’s also pest free. Then scoop them Sunday before you head out.

OP
OP
BGrand

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty long. If you’d be interested I could keep any frags you get in my coral qt, it’s also pest free. Then scoop them Sunday before you head out.

That is super generous. Our flights are super early Sunday. But if I find something I can't live without I might hit you up for a Saturday night pickup on our way back from Napa. Will you be around?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super generous. Our flights are super early Sunday. But if I find something I can't live without I might hit you up for a Saturday night pickup on our way back from Napa. Will you be around?
Yep! Sounds good!

OP
OP
BGrand

BGrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog I went to Infinite today and hung out with Steve for about an hour and half until almost closing time. Bought a blue tip torch and a bright yellow candy cane. Great guy. I have them at my wife’s corporate apartment and Steve gave me extra water so I can do a water change. He told me I just missed you. I appreciate the offer to house the coral but Steve did a great job of setting me up. I will definitely go back when I’m in town again. Thanks again.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog I went to Infinite today and hung out with Steve for about an hour and half until almost closing time. Bought a blue tip torch and a bright yellow candy cane. Great guy. I have them at my wife’s corporate apartment and Steve gave me extra water so I can do a water change. He told me I just missed you. I appreciate the offer to house the coral but Steve did a great job of setting me up. I will definitely go back when I’m in town again. Thanks again.
That’s great news! That’s my original reefing mentor, he’s a great guy. Thats so cool you guys met and nice torch! I was checking that out earlier! Haha.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back