Sfin's Dream.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya our tank is 700+, we once added a blue spot and it didn’t make it, the rays we recently added are california’s i think.
Oh it’s huge! biomedia blocks in the sump too, if I remember correctly it was just a large skimmer + biomedia?

is that big lion fish still in there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnd BOOM! You win the 2,000th post prize!
IMG_20200215_121944_01.gif

ghartman1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it’s huge! Big biomedia blocks in the sump too, if I remember correctly it was just a big skimmer + biomedia?

is that big lion fish still in there?
unfortunately the lionfish passed away :(
I loved that guy, hopefully we can get another.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef is looking better. I cut my fudge light down to one hour a day. I ran 15 gallons through the 5 micron sock yesterday. I did another 10 gallon tonight. Things are looking better.

Last night was the first waste away dose. Tonight was a second. The front glass is still clear. Two days things are looking good

Last edited:
OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very little dino in the tank. I did 10 gallon water through the sock. 5 gallon on the left and five gallon on the right side through the 5 micron sock. I turned on my skimmer around 0900 right before we left for church.
I'm very happy with the progress so far.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can handle alittle cyano ;)
It pops up right after dino. The waste away will finish off the dino and cyano. The part I'm not looking forward to is the gha. It's going to explode in a bit

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean...since you’re already adding chemicals, what’s one more? (Fluconazole WORKS)
B1A83240-6B93-4868-BC03-56E0E2FB557B.jpeg
Not chemicals but bacteria. Where did you get that and we had does it do

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not chemicals but bacteria. Where did you get that and we had does it do
You’re an exterminator, right? This is to algae what the stuff you spray bugs with is to a cockroach.

I ordered it, found out later that my LFS carries it too. You just take out your carbon and purigen, dose, wait two weeks, big water change, put your carbon and purigen back. Algae gone.

it’s almost like cheating, I could not believe how well it worked. I have a mixed reef, it didn’t effect my corals or fish at all. It’s the recommended treatment for bryopsis (what I had and why I dosed it) but it works on ALL algae. I didn’t have much GHA but it killed that too...stuff just turned grey and then white and died...it was glorious.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do a fluc treatment for GHA, I say this from personal experience. It swung my nutrients and I got cyano. Just finally got it to go away for the second time but got that feeling I'm not done battling it. I've been using small doses of vibrant. The GHA just pulls off super easy. 2 weeks ago I pulled my entire back wall of the tank off in 3 thick mats almost like carpet.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re an exterminator, right? This is to algae what the stuff you spray bugs with is to a cockroach.

I ordered it, found out later that my LFS carries it too. You just take out your carbon and purigen, dose, wait two weeks, big water change, put your carbon and purigen back. Algae gone.

it’s almost like cheating, I could not believe how well it worked. I have a mixed reef, it didn’t effect my corals or fish at all. It’s the recommended treatment for bryopsis (what I had and why I dosed it) but it works on ALL algae. I didn’t have much GHA but it killed that too...stuff just turned grey and then white and died...it was glorious.
yes I am and it's wonderful to watch insects die. effects of cheato?

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do a fluc treatment for GHA, I say this from personal experience. It swung my nutrients and I got cyano. Just finally got it to go away for the second time but got that feeling I'm not done battling it. I've been using small doses of vibrant. The GHA just pulls off super easy. 2 weeks ago I pulled my entire back wall of the tank off in 3 thick mats almost like carpet.
Ok that’s a LOT of GHA. Wouldn’t the vibrant also have the same effect on nutrients from dying algae if you didn’t manually remove it?
yes I am and it's wonderful to watch insects die. effects of cheato?
also dead, can’t run chaeto if you use this or if you use vibrant. But as why me says, you still have to manually remove the excess or nutrient swings are possible. I didn’t get any, or any cyano, but I had very little algae to begin with and just wanted to nip the bryopsis in the bud.

also I use phosguard so I’m sure that helped.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to ask what happens when the gha dies. It's. Got be like cheato when it dies it release a the nutrients into the water. I imagine thats why large water change is recommended.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back