Shades of Fall RTN

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yesterday I noticed my shades of Fall frag had some new growth and the colors looked good. This morning it looked fine, but when I got home it was a skeleton!!

I cut off a few tips that still had some flesh on them and put them on a frag plug. One already died.

Now this is the ONLY coral in the tank that shows any sign of distress. Other SPS looks fine.

Yesterday I noticed that my BTA was touching one of the tips of the frag and it was white. Could that have spread that fast? Would a dead tip kill the rest of the colony? Or is this just one of those mysteries?

FB_IMG_1572574803574.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, of course. I meant one burnt tip can spread that fast.

Anemone's have nematocysts, stinging cells that explode when injected into invading corals. Their poison spreads throughout tissue quickly.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Once a coral is in a weakened state, RTN(bad bacteria)will spread fast to healthy tissue and kill the coral. Even fragging healthy tissue and putting on a plug will not work most of the time. I read somewhere that using witch hazel stopped RTN. I’m not sure of the procedure, I’d have to look it up again.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that makes sense. $50 lesson learned.

Sorry this happened to you. Hang in there. Some hobbyist with SPS tanks won't have anemone's in their tanks for this reason.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to deter me at all. I just thought that those tips would die and the rest would keep growing in the other direction.

20191027150123_IMG_1281__02.jpg

Once stung, you would have to frag away the damaged area quickly. In most cases it too late.

Just a side note, RTN is caused by a stress event. It weakens the coral allowing bad bacteria to invade the tissue causing tissue necrosis. Such as vibiro. Pathogens then start eating the dieing tissue. This condition can spread quickly to healthy tissue.

I have a great deal of information on RTN if anyone wants to learn more about it and the research into it and possible cures. Just pm me and I can send them to anyone wanting to know.

In your case @jasonrusso, your situation was a anemone's sting, not RTN.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some colonies right above an annoying GBTA that (unfortunately) keeps splitting too. The mother nem reaches up and has been touching the base of one of my acros, and I'm seeing some color changes (not sure it's death yet), and I've been keeping close watch on her. I may point a Tunze directly at her and maybe get her to move. Ideally I want them all gone, but I keep them for my clowns.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back