Shades of Fall RTN

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2014
Messages
3,434
Reaction score
2,437
Location
Haverhill, MA
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yesterday I noticed my shades of Fall frag had some new growth and the colors looked good. This morning it looked fine, but when I got home it was a skeleton!!

I cut off a few tips that still had some flesh on them and put them on a frag plug. One already died.

Now this is the ONLY coral in the tank that shows any sign of distress. Other SPS looks fine.

Yesterday I noticed that my BTA was touching one of the tips of the frag and it was white. Could that have spread that fast? Would a dead tip kill the rest of the colony? Or is this just one of those mysteries?

FB_IMG_1572574803574.jpg
 
Yes, of course. I meant one burnt tip can spread that fast.

Anemone's have nematocysts, stinging cells that explode when injected into invading corals. Their poison spreads throughout tissue quickly.
 
Once a coral is in a weakened state, RTN(bad bacteria)will spread fast to healthy tissue and kill the coral. Even fragging healthy tissue and putting on a plug will not work most of the time. I read somewhere that using witch hazel stopped RTN. I’m not sure of the procedure, I’d have to look it up again.
 
Ah, that makes sense. $50 lesson learned.

Sorry this happened to you. Hang in there. Some hobbyist with SPS tanks won't have anemone's in their tanks for this reason.
 
Sorry this happened to you. Hang in there. Some hobbyist with SPS tanks won't have anemone's in their tanks for this reason.
It's not going to deter me at all. I just thought that those tips would die and the rest would keep growing in the other direction.

20191027150123_IMG_1281__02.jpg
 
It's not going to deter me at all. I just thought that those tips would die and the rest would keep growing in the other direction.

20191027150123_IMG_1281__02.jpg

Once stung, you would have to frag away the damaged area quickly. In most cases it too late.

Just a side note, RTN is caused by a stress event. It weakens the coral allowing bad bacteria to invade the tissue causing tissue necrosis. Such as vibiro. Pathogens then start eating the dieing tissue. This condition can spread quickly to healthy tissue.

I have a great deal of information on RTN if anyone wants to learn more about it and the research into it and possible cures. Just pm me and I can send them to anyone wanting to know.

In your case @jasonrusso, your situation was a anemone's sting, not RTN.
 
I have some colonies right above an annoying GBTA that (unfortunately) keeps splitting too. The mother nem reaches up and has been touching the base of one of my acros, and I'm seeing some color changes (not sure it's death yet), and I've been keeping close watch on her. I may point a Tunze directly at her and maybe get her to move. Ideally I want them all gone, but I keep them for my clowns.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new