Shadow overflow version 2 16’

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at overflow boxes for a current build I’m planning to complete hopefully within 2 weeks. Read a lot of negative reviews on the shadow overflow regarding salt creep , leakage, and noise however most these reviews were on the older model and I see on their website they have a new v2 model out anyways wanted to get some feedback from anyone who’s got the v2 currently before I pull the trigger. I hear modular marine has a great overflow box however it seems they are not taking any orders on their website due to being backed up. My only other option would be Eshoppes I guess unless someone out in the reef has a better suggestion I’m open to it! Thank you all.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shadow looks cool in the unboxing video i saw. it comes in 16" and 20" it is smoked plastic through out has a removable strainer section. the eshopps L that i have is 12 " has black plastic in tank but clear plastic out side tank. the inner section of the shadow has a top but the eshopps does not. they both come with a hole saw. they both use 3 drains so bean animal system is usable and in my case very quiet. good luck. personally i got rid of the elbow and pipe on the full siphon and have a "slip overflow strainer 1 inch" plugged into the hole

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shadow looks cool in the unboxing video i saw. it comes in 16" and 20" it is smoked plastic through out has a removable strainer section. the eshopps L that i have is 12 " has black plastic in tank but clear plastic out side tank. the inner section of the shadow has a top but the eshopps does not. they both come with a hole saw. they both use 3 drains so bean animal system is usable and in my case very quiet. good luck. personally i got rid of the elbow and pipe on the full siphon and have a "slip overflow strainer 1 inch" plugged into the hole
Thanks for the info! I’m going to use it on a 40 breeder and def going to be going bean animal. Awesome strainer idea I will def use that :)

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I’m going to use it on a 40 breeder and def going to be going bean animal. Awesome strainer idea I will def use that :)
so update: a friend actually has both shadows, v1 and v2., in operation today on different tanks. he really likes the v1's! The v2 he has not been able to dial in to prevent siphon gurgling and has a lot of salt creep; both problems he does not have on the v1's! go figure!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at overflow boxes for a current build I’m planning to complete hopefully within 2 weeks. Read a lot of negative reviews on the shadow overflow regarding salt creep , leakage, and noise however most these reviews were on the older model and I see on their website they have a new v2 model out anyways wanted to get some feedback from anyone who’s got the v2 currently before I pull the trigger. I hear modular marine has a great overflow box however it seems they are not taking any orders on their website due to being backed up. My only other option would be Eshoppes I guess unless someone out in the reef has a better suggestion I’m open to it! Thank you all.
I am trying to locate an animal bean overflow that doesn't do such high gph. I am going with a 40 breeder also. Did you locate any other brands?

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so update: a friend actually has both shadows, v1 and v2., in operation today on different tanks. he really likes the v1's! The v2 he has not been able to dial in to prevent siphon gurgling and has a lot of salt creep; both problems he does not have on the v1's! go figure!
Hahah what! Well that’s counterproductive guess I will not be going that route lol. Thank you for the update.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to locate an animal bean overflow that doesn't do such high gph. I am going with a 40 breeder also. Did you locate any other brands?
The only other overflows I have found are Eshoppes, marine Depot(in house), and modular marine was highly praised however they are not taking any orders at the moment.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out the fijicube overflows. I just got one and at first looks the build quality looks great. I haven't set it up yet so I can't say how well it works. The reason I ended up going with fijicube is a cool feature where the inner box can be completely removed from the tank for cleaning! No more trying to get a scrubber in the narrow overflows!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the fijicube overflows. I just got one and at first looks the build quality looks great. I haven't set it up yet so I can't say how well it works. The reason I ended up going with fijicube is a cool feature where the inner box can be completely removed from the tank for cleaning! No more trying to get a scrubber in the narrow overflows!
Thank you that does sound convenient I will check them out!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. bean animal overflow configuration is flow adjustable by throttling the full siphon drain. If the valve is turned toward closed, less goes through the full siphon and the remainder goes through the partial siphon. In this way you can have a quiet overflow with very little volume. the overflow is dependent on the return flow. whatever comes up from the sump will go back to the sump. the bean animal regardless of the size of pipe can be adjusted to very little flow.

if what you are saying is you want an overflow box that will not flow as much as the Eshopps is rated, see above. The fact that an overflow box can handle 1000 gph does not mean that you have to have that much flow. the value of the bean animal is that you can adjust it. With a single overflow pipe you have to let it run wide open and it will gurgle as it starts to siphon and then stop siphoning.

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi. bean animal overflow configuration is flow adjustable by throttling the full siphon drain. If the valve is turned toward closed, less goes through the full siphon and the remainder goes through the partial siphon. In this way you can have a quiet overflow with very little volume. the overflow is dependent on the return flow. whatever comes up from the sump will go back to the sump. the bean animal regardless of the size of pipe can be adjusted to very little flow.
My understanding was it is 3 drains vs 2? You have an extra emergency drain.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the noise issues come as a result of having the exterior drain box lower than the internal skim box. When pushing a lot of flow, this added drop causes the loud waterfall noise emanating from the weir/skim box that many complain about. This is why companies like Modular Marine and Exotic Marine Systems are so well regarded. If you look at their ghost style overflow designs, the internal skim box and external drain box are even heightwise affording you a greater adjustment window to tune the system to run silently, even at higher flow rates.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the noise issues come as a result of having the exterior drain box lower than the internal skim box. When pushing a lot of flow, this added drop causes the loud waterfall noise emanating from the weir/skim box that many complain about. This is why companies like Modular Marine and Exotic Marine Systems are so well regarded. If you look at their ghost style overflow designs, the internal skim box and external drain box are even heightwise affording you a greater adjustment window to tune the system to run silently, even at higher flow rates.
It just seems like the animal bean systems are all built for large aquariums. I want a 40 breeder and don't need that many gph.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems like the animal bean systems are all built for large aquariums. I want a 40 breeder and don't need that many gph.

Not necessarily. Here’s my 12” 1200 gph Modular MarIne Overflow on my 57 gallon tank. It has the exact same footprint as a 40 breeder, just 4 inches taller. It runs dead silently. With Modular Marine not taking new orders at the moment, I’d take a look at Fiji Cube. At least they’re built from solid acrylic. I‘ve owned the Synergy Shadow and wasn’t a fan of the flimsy injection molded plastic construction.

87E30FC6-21FD-4E43-B98A-A44C265AB621.jpeg

See how the exterior box is even with the skim box? It allows me to push a lot of flow through my VCA RFG nozzles silently.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. Here’s my 12” 1200 gph Modular MarIne Overflow on my 57 gallon tank. It has the exact same footprint as a 40 breeder, just 4 inches taller. It runs dead silently. With Modular Marine not taking new orders at the moment, I’d take a look at Fiji Cube. At least their built from solid acrylic. I‘ve owned the Synergy Shadow and wasn’t a fan of the flimsy injection molded plastic construction.

87E30FC6-21FD-4E43-B98A-A44C265AB621.jpeg

See how the exterior box is even with the skim box? It allows me to push a lot of flow silently.
That really looks nice. So does it move 1200 gph in your tank now? How big is your sump and how many fish do you have? Is this the Deep Blue tank on your build thread?

Last edited:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looks nice. So does it move 1200 gph in your tank now? How big is your sump and how many fish do you have? Is this the Deep Blue tank on your build thread?

I‘m currently using a 1900 gph Sicce ADV 7.0 as a return pump with my chiller run inline through the return. i don’t have a flow meter to measure an accurate flow rate with head loss, but the pump is running wide open and both RFG nozzles are giving me nice random flow as intended. Here’s my build thread for details about my set up...

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘m currently using a 1900 gph Sicce ADV 7.0 as a return pump with my chiller run inline through the return. i don’t have a flow meter to measure an accurate flow rate with head loss, but the pump is running wide open and both RFG nozzles are giving me nice random flow as intended. Here’s my build thread for details about my set up...

Yes, I am studying your build thread now. Very, very nice!!

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So Modular Marine is now supplying an 800 gph bean animal and they told me no minimum required flow rate for it. What return pump would you recommend and would I be ok using it with a 40/20 setup?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 97 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back