Shaggy's Waterbox Reef 100.3 +Plus Build

NPD_289

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz on your new tank. I'm in the same boat...waiting for my Waterbox 100.3 to arrive at my LFS. You have inspired me to start a build thread. My biggest hurdle is moving my 45g tank, painting the livingroom, then setting it up.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratz on your new tank. I'm in the same boat...waiting for my Waterbox 100.3 to arrive at my LFS. You have inspired me to start a build thread. My biggest hurdle is moving my 45g tank, painting the livingroom, then setting it up.
Cool! Once you have that build thread going, I'll follow your progress!!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the RO/DI up and running. Its currently going into a Brute Trash can. I did not not get an aerator today, so I will pick one up tomorrow. I don't think leaving it over night is going to be an issue.

It's a 150G value version, at this time I am running it via a really long hose pipe but I am still getting a PSI of 45, so I think that's ok for now. I could not get the aerator of off the downstairs bathroom faucet, would not budge! So I may have to get a plumber to install a new one (because I kind of broke it a little) and then have him put on the valve thingy that comes with it.

I'll also move the RO unit directly to the outside faucet, that will up the pressure considerably. I'll do that tomorrow.

Chlorine before was 2ppm - After it was zero and was a zero TDS reading.

IMG_2613.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - My bad, I am actually getting 85PSI out of the R/O unit. I had been running it in flush mode!!!! I wondered why I was getting so much waste water :p Anyhoo, it's now running how it should be. The PSI is 5PSI over the recommended max. TDI is still zero. When I run it tomorrow I will will turn the flow down a bit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is done! Well, 2 c Brute bins full, which wont be enough, but that R/O machine makes it so fast. Did those 2 bins in an afternoon pretty much! I got myself an Eheim dual air pump, so I have that running in the bins. I am not going to make the salt mix until I know the day the tank will come, likely Tuesday, maybe Monday. I will then be about 20G short, which will only take me a couple of hours to do. So what I may do is actually have the SG in those 2 bins I made higher, then just adjust with the plain R/O.

I spoke with Tampa Bay today regarding the rock. Will order that tomorrow, then call them when I need it shipped.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build specs have been updated on Page 1. Also, look out for some exciting pictures tomorrow if all goes well ;)

I am also going to start adding an index to the first page that will point you directly to other threads I have started that are related to this build. For instance, there was a great discussion over the last two days on Live Rock vs Life Rock. The pro's the con's and the pitfalls. You can find that here!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.1 - Yes!!!!

IMG_2622.jpg

No. 2 - Slightly Crazy and massively unexpected!

That's awesome news! Hopefully you have help lined up to get it in the house!

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's here guys! It actually happened :)

I will start by saying they don't mess around with the shipper. Professional guy turned up, like not your average delivery guy. He made sure I was entirely happy with the way he was going to bring this into my house before he did anything. The truck has air suspension on the trailer, this helps in ensuring your money is given the most protection as possible. Total wait of package for those who maybe interested was 468lbs

DSC03777.jpg

My first glimpse of my 100.3

DSC03778.jpg

And there it is!

DSC03779.jpg

Loaded on the pallet mover and ready to come off the truck.

DSC03780.jpg

Almost home!

DSC03781.jpg

Ans she is down. Now sometimes you feel you have to tell folks to be careful. Not with this guy, he made sure he was telling me everything he was going to do before he did it.

DSC03782.jpg

There it is!

DSC03783.jpg

Yes!!

DSC03786.jpg

Time to build!

DSC03787.jpg

More to come on this, I'll start unpacking, hopefully tonight and give some feedback on packaging!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! Here we go with part 2 of today's delivery post. Firstly, the packaging. Well it's pretty dang solid. The cabinet comes in a heavy cardboard box, you take the tape off and you just lift the lid off to the box. I was concerned because there was damage on the outside of the box, it was on a corner, about half way down. This normally means only only one thing and I was expecting the worse. I need not to have worried, there is packaging inside the box protecting all the critical parts of the package. Thick cardboard, foam, protective sheets, thin layers of foam. The packaging is pretty bullet proof to be honest! You would be very unlucky to get damage to that box in shipping and the packaging not being able to protect it. Top marks to WaterBox on that!

The packaging the tank comes in....Well to be honest, only a direct cruise missile strike is going to harm your tank. It's encased in an MDF cocoon, screwed and stapled together. The whole delivery sits on a pallet too, apart from the only way to be able to move it, this gives extra shock absorbance in transit.

The sump! Good lord. This is what took me by surprise the most. Its massive guys! it is a beast. I was worried that it would be tiny, that I'd have no room for add-ons later down the line. Fear not. The thing is almost as big as the tank!

The build was straight foward, even for a complete idiot when it comes to anything like this. Yes, it took me a while. 2 hours and I have still not got the doors on, that's a job for tomorrow, but it's easy, I was being super cautious. Big shout out to Emily for answering my stupid questions :)

And lastly, included was the new sock silencers. I had no idea these were included, but that was a nice surprise! Ok, on to the pics!

This is what you see when you open the cabinet box. There is a layer of foam and a protective sheet which I removed. The instructions? They could be improved, but, using them with the video guides on the WaterBox YouTube channel makes assembly a breeze.

DSC03788.jpg

Here is the packaging on the corners I mentioned. You see that damage below the tap. Well the internal packaging was not even dented. Pretty dang good if you ask me!

DSC03789.jpg

Here is how each piece of the cabinet is protected, each has its own layer of protection.

DSC03790.jpg

This is not cheap furniture. This side panels way a ton and feel really nice to the touch. Very heavy.

DSC03793.jpg

The obligatory assembly parts and door hinges!

DSC03794.jpg

And after 2 hours here is the cabinet, just minus the doors. What a perfect fit in that space right?

DSC03795.jpg

I could not resist. I had to crack open the tank box.

DSC03796.jpg

Here are the dimensions in detail.

DSC03797.jpg

Take the screws out of the panels then lightly hit with a hammer, then prize the panels off.

DSC03798.jpg

Look at the size of that sump!

DSC03800.jpg

Sock Silencers!

DSC03801.jpg

The mesh sock

DSC03802.jpg

The felt sock!

DSC03803.jpg

They put this in the box separately and obviously not installed on the tank. You can then choose to place it where you like, or not have it at all!

DSC03804.jpg

Sorry! Cant get enough of that sump! :)

DSC03805.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back