shallow 40 frag tank

cjvale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have seen somewhere guys build their own frag tanks from 1" plywood, of course using sealer, fiberglass and so on. im looking for a possible a DIY'er or some help in this matter...... i.e. length, width, height, size of wood, fiber glass/ resin. pretty much the A-Z for building my frag tank. thanks for the help in this project. i plan on posting pics when ready.

NaplesAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" marine plywood (or pressure treated) glued and screwed, seal with fiberglass resin. Size is up to you, whatever you wish. Your local auto-body supply will have the fiberglass and resin or use the Yellow Pages/Google to find some.

Jeff

OP
OP
C

cjvale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. If anyone has a build thread id love to check it out.... for a frag tank like what I'm going for of course... thanks in advance to all!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why dont you just buy one? it would be cheaper look nicer and save a tremendous amount of time.

OP
OP
C

cjvale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about it and dont care to look at four sides of glass anymore. i dont know i guess i just want a basic frag tank that i can have fun and make it my own...

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to West Marine or another boat store and get Epoxy Resin. The stuff at most automotive stores is usually Polyester Resin which is weaker and is not UV resistant. Auto Body Supply store usually do have Epoxy, but boat stores are usually much cheaper and have a nicer supply of fiberglass mat weights/styles.

Although I would also grab some marine-grade Gel Coat, and cover the resin with that anyhow. I would personally do black or white. But I have seen blue which looks ..... interesting.

Last edited:

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can gel coat over epoxy very effectively (at least for a boat).

I'd just go with a rubbermaid tub (or cattle tank).... 4ftx2ftx1ft high
It's fairly simple to gel coat over epoxy, the epoxy just has to be fully cured, otherwise the hardeners used in Epoxy will react with the Gel Coat.. Alas, if you're using gel coat there would be no reason to not use Polyester resin, as well, even if it is mildly weaker.

I do like the cattle/stock tank idea, however.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's fairly simple to gel coat over epoxy, the epoxy just has to be fully cured, otherwise the hardeners used in Epoxy will react with the Gel Coat.. Alas, if you're using gel coat there would be no reason to not use Polyester resin, as well, even if it is mildly weaker.

I do like the cattle/stock tank idea, however.

Perhaps in fish tank world, gel coat over epoxy works (less UV maybe?). In boat world, gel coat over epoxy only works for West Marine Systems. Everyone else in the world uses polyester for GC or ends up painting if they use epoxy.

I do agree the cattle tank is phenomenally easier. Fiberglassing sucks - I just finished repairing the deck in our boat. It was my first time fiberglassing. I had a blast, but I don't want to do it again for a really long time - especially for a fish tank that I can buy relatively cheap.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 40.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back