Shallow Lagoon Build

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey wait a min;)i think i see two reefs in background,and no pic's:)lol ,to be honest i run and love bare bottom tanks,never painted one ,just a thought here ,black absorbs light ,will it cover in algae too fast?? white will reflect light again ,will it cause problems?? i don't have that answer ,but think something to think about,once done,too late.????beige like beach sand,lighter blue ???just suggetions ,never did ,mine were all pink..lol ,foam insulation board:rolleyes::cool:

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey wait a min;)i think i see two reefs in background,and no pic's:)lol ,to be honest i run and love bare bottom tanks,never painted one ,just a thought here ,black absorbs light ,will it cover in algae too fast?? white will reflect light again ,will it cause problems?? i don't have that answer ,but think something to think about,once done,too late.????beige like beach sand,lighter blue ???just suggetions ,never did ,mine were all pink..lol ,foam insulation board:rolleyes::cool:

Thats a great consideration. I’ve run the last two (including the one in the background) BB with black paint. I honestly haven’t notice any additional algae, but in saying that I haven’t anything to compare it with. I have wondered if the light reflection from the white would have any positive or negative effects on the underside of SPS colonies?

The tank in the background has an amazing colony of aiptesia growing, I’d be happy to frag if anyone want some?

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i like the thought on white reflecting underside ,again not sure,not chrome but poss light silver?? you can take a cheap ten gallon on a test run,try poss 3 colors in 3rds fill and see???is a cheap quick trial???

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the Stand

Because it’s rimless, Frank the tank (builder) specified that the tank must sit on a minimum of 5/8” foam. I was hoping for a clean look without visible foam and I don’t like the appearance of trim (I want to keep exposed ply edges).

I decided to cut thin strips of plywood and laminate them to the stand top. This way the foam would not be visible and it would appear that the tank was sitting directly on a 36mm slab of plywood - or at least I hope

I already bought the 5/8” foam and the ply is 18mm (about 11/16)” so the tank will sit about 2mm lower which I can live with.

8AAC9CFA-C00A-4197-86B9-E1AC36ACA470.jpeg 6C0AD820-F9C9-48BB-A262-86BCB8899F92.jpeg 289DC72D-B66E-4517-B402-2890F842F0E8.jpeg ED1C5A3F-ADA5-4F70-8435-61BFDD811EA6.jpeg

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i like it ,i don't see the foam? is that good? tank itself directly on foam?? important!!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day from Australia! As an British man it still sounds a little weird saying that, but feel like after 13 years’ it’s become part of my regular vocabulary!

Background

Like most “fish people”, I started by keeping freshwater as a kid. Something has always fascinated me about creating and observing an entire ecosystem, it’s quiet incredible!

Shortly after arriving in Australia, I started scuba diving. I was blown away by diversity of life that dwelled below the surface. Naturally, after spending time googling various diving forums, I found reference to the reef hobby. I joined Reefcentral in 2008, and began reading (and reading and reading!), a trip the the LFS, and I was hooked! I needed to set up a reef tank. At the time, my partner and I were saving for our first house together. I ordered a tank, and began to accumulate equipment. The tank was a custom 50g tall without an overflow box, instead having two riser pipes (don’t ask!). Eventually we purchased a house, and I was able to set up the tank. It was a great learning curve, but after about 12 months, I wanted more. As the years passed I upgraded again and ended up with a 187g reef, complete with a fish room. It was awesome! The tank ran for about a year, during which time my now wife fell pregnant with twins, and we realised that we needed a larger house. I transferred a couple of fish and corals into a smaller tank and shut down this system.

Fast forward a number of years and a substantial renovation, and I am now a position to start a larger system again. I kept the smaller system running, and still have the three fish I kept (a pair of Occi clowns (the first sw fish I ever bought), and a hybrid scopes tang who I couldn’t bare to part with).

New Beginnings

The new system will be a shallow SPS lagoon. I am a keen DIYer, and spent the first 18 years of my (working life) as a mechanical fitter - as such, I love to modify and build things. This will no doubt be apparent during this tank build. I have purchased most of the required equipment and have almost finished the stand, but for the sake of documentation, I will start this thread from the beginning. Here is what I have so far:

Tank: 40” x 28” x 16” (73g) custom rimless with external overflow
Sump: Custom DIY
Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7
Lighting: Modified Aquatic Life Hybrid, 2 x G3 Ecotech Radion XR30s. Tunze refugium LED
Flow: 1 x MP40 QD, 1 x MP40w
Return: EcoTech Vectra M1
Temp Control: Inkbird WIFI controller with Eheim heater, and eBay cooling fans
Elements: Bubble Magus Dosing Pump
Other: Bubble Magus Automatic Filter Roller, Smart Automatic Water Change System

Some of this equipment is new, some used, and some from my existing system.

Its 12:30 am over here, but I promise to start adding some pics tomorrow. Hopefully this thread is of use to someone, even if it’s just how not to do something x-)

Cheers, Mark

Nice specs! Following the build!
-fellow fish person

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My build thread that is with my name is for my 75 gallon. Here is a link to me 30 gallon

OP
OP
robs.mark

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the top of the stand today, cut out the overflow holes, polystyrene, and added three coats of polyethylene.

I also applied two coats of white paint to the base, it will need a couple more tomorrow though. I like the colour

Half the polystyrene is missing in the pic as the tank is resting on it..

FFD13F22-77F8-487C-B2D8-C447551A827C.jpeg DB109C6A-1E7B-4E9B-984E-13B47C7BB907.jpeg DB61C0B1-572C-4145-8742-2AC3CB08937B.jpeg EDDE57D7-63AD-4AB2-B537-FCE8B00E702E.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is looking awesome so far. I'm following along as I'm looking to do a shallow sps build in the future. Good call on the white, the reflection is going to pay off!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back