OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this interesting hitch hiker on one of my snails tonight. Anyone have any idea what this is? A95BD443-1CED-43C8-B23A-EF72D1EE33B5.jpeg 2BBF4A9D-19DA-4AF4-BCF8-62496A453623.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0742.MOV
    25.1 MB

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful design and execution. Looking forward to see how you fill it with critters.

I started a mangrove/macro algae tank years ago for something different and it’s grown into tank I like to watch just as much as my main sps display!

OP
OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been having pretty good luck with this set up so far! The sea grasses and macros I added about a month ago are all doing very well. Starting to see some good growth on them. The mollies have grown a lot. I really like them as livestock in this set up, it looks very natural. I’ve tried to find other fish for this tank but really can’t find anything I like. I may just add a few more mollies. I got a very small masked goby but he spends most of his time in the macros.

I recently added a few gorgonia to the set up and they have really set the tank off!

I also added two sea squirts (tunicates). I’ve always been fascinated by these and I’m excited to see how they do.

The mangrove is thriving under that kessil. I have not yet added the second but may now that I have more photosynthetics on the other side of the tank.

52A9EA5C-F50A-4055-810A-D252060C705C.jpeg 1DEAFB57-F2FF-436A-8CE6-C4EBA5E304A0.jpeg 258EBA0D-48AC-4230-B879-F879AA320B06.jpeg

OP
OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running really well lately. I added a large strawberry sponge about a month ago. It was in less than perfect shape when I got it but it was a good price. I can’t tell if it’s getting better or worse.

One of the gorgonians I added died almost immediately, the second seems to be on a very slow decline and the third has visibly grown. I’ve not got these figured out quite yet.

The saltwater mollies I had in the tank met unfortunate ends. One snuck through the overflow and got caught in the drain, the other jumped ship during a water change.

I have added 3 small porkfish, a small parrot, and a mystery grunt to the tank. All wild caught from the keys.

The macros do really well in this tank. I had more of the red macros but they are hard to keep down and kept getting sucked into the power head.

The mangrove couldn’t be happier and neither can I.

07A37335-824F-4124-A79E-335D286E5663.jpeg 7977BCAC-4256-467C-9D75-4E42086D8ED0.jpeg D09AF5CE-9155-49D0-A204-AF91E690B3CA.jpeg 5734DADE-84FA-443E-97D4-89D539763BEF.jpeg 4360669B-44B5-42ED-A854-8D6AEBA59D61.jpeg 6D4EAA8E-CBA2-411A-9F26-4555ED43621B.jpeg 2611B810-7DEC-47C0-9F5D-CE72F708893E.jpeg

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running really well lately. I added a large strawberry sponge about a month ago. It was in less than perfect shape when I got it but it was a good price. I can’t tell if it’s getting better or worse.

One of the gorgonians I added died almost immediately, the second seems to be on a very slow decline and the third has visibly grown. I’ve not got these figured out quite yet.

The saltwater mollies I had in the tank met unfortunate ends. One snuck through the overflow and got caught in the drain, the other jumped ship during a water change.

I have added 3 small porkfish, a small parrot, and a mystery grunt to the tank. All wild caught from the keys.

The macros do really well in this tank. I had more of the red macros but they are hard to keep down and kept getting sucked into the power head.

The mangrove couldn’t be happier and neither can I.

07A37335-824F-4124-A79E-335D286E5663.jpeg 7977BCAC-4256-467C-9D75-4E42086D8ED0.jpeg D09AF5CE-9155-49D0-A204-AF91E690B3CA.jpeg 5734DADE-84FA-443E-97D4-89D539763BEF.jpeg 4360669B-44B5-42ED-A854-8D6AEBA59D61.jpeg 6D4EAA8E-CBA2-411A-9F26-4555ED43621B.jpeg 2611B810-7DEC-47C0-9F5D-CE72F708893E.jpeg

how are the tunicates? Also, what kind of gorgonians were they? Not all of them will do well in a tank like that.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are the tunicates? Also, what kind of gorgonians were they? Not all of them will do well in a tank like that.

Did some more research.

Gorgonians live in all kinds of reef zones, but different species of gorgonians live in different reef zones.*

Macroalgae and mangroves live in the shallow lagoon zone of a certain kind of reef habitat. These areas have fairly low flow, high light, and soft sand substrate. Gorgonians that live here, on occasional rock patches, include
Briareum asbestinum (a very common in the hobby Pacific morph is called green star polyps, Atlantic morph https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/corky-sea-finger/) and Plexaura homomalla (black sea rod https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/black-sea-rod/).

Note that these Gorgonians will need a decent amount of light, possibly more than they'd get from your current setup.

ref: ROBERT A. KINZIE, THE ZONATION OF WEST INDIAN GORGONIANS, Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory, Discovery Bay, Jamaica, W. I. PDF previoulsy available online, can't find it quickly right now

This is also good:

ETA: reread the thread: I remember now that a lot of your specimens were obtained locally. Maybe the gorgonians were locally collected in a seagrass bed too? If so, maybe your problem was insufficnent light? Plexaura sometimes has shipping problems, but if it survives the first two weeks it'll be OK. It might also need some supplemental feeding.

Anyway, glad to see the turtle grass is growing well. I'll look at the thread in detail, but if it's not in there, I'd ask: do you have any other seagrass beside turtle grass? how deep is your sandbed?

* For info on reef zones, see:

Last edited:

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good...what else is on the livestock list? More macros? I think some nice rock anemones would look great in there along with some zoas.

OP
OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@VR28man thanks for the feedback! I actually got these gorgonians from KP Aquatics who you left links to so they are from the keys although it is deeper, higher flow water. I also got the tunicates from them. The tunicates seem very happy and they are super interesting to watch. I feed pytho feast and oyster feast for the tunicates and sponge.

As for light, those Kessils really pack a lunch but I think I only have the intensity up about half way. I can try increasing to see what happens. The macros grow really well at the current settings.

@dbraun15 As for what other stock to put in the tank, I’m really not sure what I want. I’m pretty happy with it how it is so I think I’ll just keep looking around and hope I know it when I see it. I do like the look of the rock anemones but have never kept them. Do you have any experience with them.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, rock nems are pretty easy to keep. They tend not to wander and usually stay put. There are a ton of different colors and the stay relatively small(about 3-4” in diameter. Also, if you havre a few of them and feed often, spawning can happen. Would think they would fit well in your setup.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! Yeah, I roll the stand out from the wall. I think it's a great solution but it's definitely not the easiest way to build a stand for maintenance. On a flat, hard floor this is an awesome solution. My flooring in this room is marble with large mortar joints. The stand rolls really well on the marble but kind of gets stuck in the grout lines. I just put down a thin piece of cardboard like what a 12 pack of drinks comes in and that makes it roll a lot smoother. I turn off the pumps, let the display drain to the sump and then roll it out so nothing splashes. It's extra work every time but worth it to me for the look.

Over time I will be designing systems that allow me to avoid moving the stand. I need to set up an ATO and a way to clear skimmate. That would allow me to only have to move the stand once a month or so.

this is a beautiful tank- amazing job

ive been planning to do a 'mangrove volcano island' in my 50g lowboy coral grow out tank, but have a number of projects going, and no corals big enough to warrent fragginh and grow out.

but seeing this thread just pushed me over into buying some red mangroves.

awesome work man!

@Victoria M - whats the deal keeping this to yourself? i thought you were supposed to tell me about cool builds like this!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ive been planning to do a 'mangrove volcano island' in my 50g lowboy coral grow out tank, but have a number of projects going, and no corals big enough to warrent fragginh and grow out.

awesome work man!

@Victoria M - whats the deal keeping this to yourself? i thought you were supposed to tell me about cool builds like this!
I thought I did actually. But no? Sorry! Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

awesome work man!

Hey, thanks! I’m glad you like it. I probably need to do a bigger update but the tank is doing well after a struggle with a hair algae bloom that started in early January.

It was a really busy time for me at work as well and I just didn’t have time to fight the problem properly. I did a lot of water changes and manual removal but adding GFO is I think what finally solved it. There are small bits here and there but mostly gone.

I’ll get some pics soon but I’m down to my masked goby, some snails, blue and red leg hermits and two emerald crabs. I was bummed but the hair algae seemed to have gotten to the tunicates. Plus with the reduction of nutrients I was putting into the tank they just couldn’t make it. Those were my favorite part of the tank outside of the mang.

The plant is doing fantastic. I was dosing iron and manganese for a while and that seemed to make a big difference but I stopped when I got serious about getting rid of the hair algae. Don’t know if there is a correlation.

Anyway, tank is doing well now. In fact been noticing some pods living in the caulerpa in the display. That had me feeling good. Going to start thinking about adding some more fish.

OP
OP
pelican

pelican

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving to a new house locally but decided to move my tank to my office since I am actually at work more than I am home. I took the opportunity to change a few things about how this tank was set up at the same time.

Moving the tank was pretty tricky as the mangrove has gotten pretty tall. I thought about putting the whole thing in my utility trailer but was worried about it bouncing around. I ultimately found a cardboard box that just fit around the plant and put the tank in the back of my truck. This seemed to work well. I live on a barrier island and it made the trip over the causeway to my shop without an issue. The mang has dropped a few leaves since it moved (maybe 10?) but overall hasn't drooped or seemed stressed. I think it's pretty happy. Still dosing iron and manganese.
IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg

I built a new stand for the tank as the rolling stand turned out to be a pain in the butt. I really liked how it looked but it made maintenance a pain and that just meant I didn't do things as often as I should. The new stand still has a cool look, but it is accessible from the front. I will be the first to admit it is WAY better. I also built the stand quite a bit larger that the tank. It's pretty luxurious to have so much space now.

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

I fabricated a sump liner to protect the drywall and polished concrete floors from the saltwater. This I just made from scrap HDPE I had at my shop. I thought about just welding up a whole new sump out of this material but I didn't have time to get it designed and built in time for the move. I may do this a bit later. For now, the old sump is just inside this liner. It actually works pretty nicely.

IMG_2172.jpeg
I'm also trying out a cool new piece of hardware for controlling the tank. I think it's called a "power strip"? I got pretty fed up with the Apex to be honest. I had a number of hardware problems with the Apex and while neptune support was very responsive and helpful, it just dawned on me that having an unreliable piece of tech as a single point of failure for my tank was a bit silly. With that being said, this tank also does not require much special care so maybe it was just overkill for what I got out of it. This power strip is plugged into a quad WiFi controllable, GFCI, outlet, with built in timer. This also allows me to plug in and monitor my return pump and program my lights. I also added a strip of flexible LED lights inside the stand. Maybe the best $12 upgrade you can make on your set up.

I got sort of sick of having to always "mow the lawn" (trim the caulerpa) so I'm going to run this tank without it for a while. I like that it sort of looks like a sand flat now. I may add some turtle grass over time but I like this natural look. I'm still keeping wild caught brackish mollies. I have the salinity a bit low so this tank is I guess technically brackish now. I also have a few mosquitto fish and a local wild caught goby.

I just need to run that power wire through the wall and this set up will be about done. It should be ridiculously low maintenance which is ideal for me right now as work has been crazy.

Here is one last shot which is my view at the end of the day as I leave the office.
IMG_2178.jpeg

Last edited:

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving to a new house locally but decided to move my tank to my office since I am actually at work more than I am home. I took the opportunity to change a few things about how this tank was set up at the same time.

Moving the tank was pretty tricky as the mangrove has gotten pretty tall. I thought about putting the whole thing in my utility trailer but was worried about it bouncing around. I ultimately found a cardboard box that just fit around the plant and put the tank in the back of my truck. This seemed to work well. I live on a barrier island and it made the trip over the causeway to my shop without an issue. The mang has dropped a few leaves since it moved (maybe 10?) but overall hasn't drooped or seemed stressed. I think it's pretty happy. Still dosing iron and manganese.
IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

IMG_2121.jpeg

I built a new stand for the tank as the rolling stand turned out to be a pain in the butt. I really liked how it looked but it made maintenance a pain and that just meant I didn't do things as often as I should. The new stand still has a cool look, but it is accessible from the front. I will be the first to admit it is WAY better. I also built the stand quite a bit larger that the tank. It's pretty luxurious to have so much space now.

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2171.jpeg

I fabricated a sump liner to protect the drywall and polished concrete floors from the saltwater. This I just made from scrap HDPE I had at my shop. I thought about just welding up a whole new sump out of this material but I didn't have time to get it designed and built in time for the move. I may do this a bit later. For now, the old sump is just inside this liner. It actually works pretty nicely.

IMG_2172.jpeg
I'm also trying out a cool new piece of hardware for controlling the tank. I think it's called a "power strip"? I got pretty fed up with the Apex to be honest. I had a number of hardware problems with the Apex and while neptune support was very responsive and helpful, it just dawned on me that having an unreliable piece of tech as a single point of failure for my tank was a bit silly. With that being said, this tank also does not require much special care so maybe it was just overkill for what I got out of it. This power strip is plugged into a quad WiFi controllable, GFCI, outlet, with built in timer. This also allows me to plug in and monitor my return pump and program my lights. I also added a strip of flexible LED lights inside the stand. Maybe the best $12 upgrade you can make on your set up.

I got sort of sick of having to always "mow the lawn" (trim the caulerpa) so I'm going to run this tank without it for a while. I like that it sort of looks like a sand flat now. I may add some turtle grass over time but I like this natural look. I'm still keeping wild caught brackish mollies. I have the salinity a bit low so this tank is I guess technically brackish now. I also have a few mosquitto fish and a local wild caught goby.

I just need to run that power wire through the wall and this set up will be about done. It should be ridiculously low maintenance which is ideal for me right now as work has been crazy.

beautiful

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelican, how's the mangrove tank doing? It looks beautiful so far! Also, how'd things work out with the experiment with floating the propogules and prop root formation?

I'm wanting to start growing out some mangroves to have a similar looking tank to yours in a few years, and am trying to decide how best to do so to get nice prop roots as well as a good canopy. I live in Vermont, so growing them outside year round is impossible. I'll probably start some in freshwater, though I'm considering floating some and rooting some in soil, and documenting how they do over time. I'm also considering getting some taller established plants with some roots and leaves, though hopefully they will be straighter than they ones you showed in your pictures.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back