Share your closed loop UV system design and best practices

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm planning to build a closed loop UV system to help combat dinos. My sump is already plumbed and I don't have space left in my cabinet so I will need to attach it to the display tank. It is going to be more of a portable / standalone system rather than a permanent solution unless I can make it look seamless.
I've been searching the forums and YouTube. I found some pictures and videos of systems and people helping others with design problems but I haven’t seen complete showcases of closed loop UV systems or people sharing why they designed their systems the way they did.
I'm hoping the community can help showcase their closed loop UV systems, share if they had to fix something or would have done something differently. I think collectively we can continue improving and learning from each other's UV systems the way we have done with DIY 2x4 Tank Stands or Water Mixing Stations.

Examples:
• Installing the UV in a vertical position will help reduce air being trapped in the UV contact zone and improve effectiveness.
• When installed vertically, flow should go from bottom to top. (Don’t remember the reason for this).
• Intake side should not be too restrictive, should be at least as big as the outtake. Pump cavitation occurs when there is insufficient water pressure at the inlet. This can cause microbubbles.

Some questions / conversation starters:
• Is it better to place the pump before the UV (pushing water into the UV) or after the UV (pulling water from the UV)?
• Keeping the pump outside the tank will greatly help with aesthetics but I'm worried about priming the system. What's the best/easiest way to fill the system when the pump is outside the tank? Does it need to be full or will partial fill allow the pump to start.
• How critical is to have a drain? How did you implement it?
• Hard vs soft plumbing? What are the pros and cons?

dblhelix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Concerning the direction of water flow through your UV sterilizer, Pentair has this on page 10. Water flow should enter in the bottom of the unit and exit out the top end which has the electrical connection.
I have a Lifeguard Aquatics 25W which I am plumbing and installing this week/weekend in a Red Sea Reefer 350. It will be closed loop and utilize a Varios 2 pump to pull water ( 1" line) from the main display tank, pump it up through the UV and directly back to the display. At least that's the plan shaping up right now. I will use soft tube at the pump and hard plumb everything else. I thought about using mostly soft tubing but am opting for hard plumb at this point. Im only about 1/4 of the way done so I can still pivot from the plumbing plan if I see issues or opportunities. The reason for the closed loop is so I can run the UV at low flow for parasites or high flow for bacteria. I don't plan to run it 24/7, only when I feel the need, so that's another reason for the closed loop. I'm not saying closed loop is this is the only way or the right way, but it's the right way for my purposes.
Kruler has an alternative plumbing layout that doesn't utilize closed loop and looks really good.https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-reefer-xl425-build.708679/

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back