Toadstool is about 15" across now

IMG_1231.JPG

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I understand your frustration. Mine is the Ice & Fire Enchinata, for the life of me I cannot keep that coral. I keep trying though. [emoji4]

For me, the most important elements are stable alkalinity, proper lighting & water flow. My display is 2 years old in June.

a1140e8943eba61ebfa9729f57fc5698.jpg

I’ve got all the basics down. It’s just one of those that eludes me. I have another deepwater “dragon” type acro literally an inch from it that is exploding in growth

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My largest is probably my stylophora. It must be closing in on 16" tall (I have a gorgonian that is a bit taller but not as wide around).I think 4" of that happened in the last 6 months. Seems to grow fast no matter what I do. Unfortunately it is not well placed and the bottom third died from self-shading. On my upcoming tank move I have no idea how to work it into the new aquascape. I will likely get out a saw to trim the base. The many branches sit on a central 3" thick stem that could be cut out. But no way will I break off branches willingly since my chromis sleep in it.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing a stylophora theme here. It’s no secret they’re some of the most forgiving and fast growing sps out there. Which is nuts to me because they’re so dense. They really take up ca and alk in large amounts. I struggle to clip its 3/4” branches with bone cutters. Yet my fish frag my acros by bumping into them.

Anyhow. I think everyone will agree on the same secrets. Stable water chemistry with balanced nutrients and alk without trace deficiencies. Balanced light and nutrients as well with appropriate par and spectrum, and heavy flow. Instructions are pretty clear. Some species just seem a little more particular about one thing or another

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have three coral that are huge. I have a finger leather, an elegance and a bubble coral. The elegance has fragged itself so I don't think it's the biggest anymore. Maybe the finger leather? :eek:

IMG_20180521_233430.jpg

IMG_20180521_233419.jpg

MVIMG_20180521_233416.jpg

MVIMG_20180521_233219.jpg

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have three coral that are huge. I have a finger leather, an elegance and a bubble coral. The elegance has fragged itself so I don't think it's the biggest anymore. Maybe the finger leather? :eek:

That is so cool that your elegance splits! How often does that happen? Do you target feed?

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is so cool that your elegance splits! How often does that happen? Do you target feed?[/QUOTE]

Syed123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens often. I've given away a couple of split frags. But yeah so far I have the mother colony, and 5 frags. One frag is almost a colony. I don't target feed. The elegance eats whatever it grabs from the food I feed the fish.

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony of aspiring to large colonies is that they quickly become problematic; even in large tanks. I've a green Aussie tabling coral that is about 10"x8" and it's overshadowing a number of colonies deeper down in the tank. Large colonies also mean less room for a more diverse assortment. The only exception for me is the green slimmer. It's open enough to not excessively shade other corals and many of my smaller fish (including 30 yellow tail damsels) frequently shelter themselves amongst it's many branches. Pretty cool actually.
Would love to see a pic of that with the damsels and the green Slimer

PRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this between 18 and 24 months ago, it was about 4 inches across, now it's pushing 16, not sure what kind of mushroom it is, or if it will ever split or not. Wish I knew if i could do anything to frag it or force a split, it's taking up a ton of space.

IMG_1599.JPG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest coral in my tank right now is a catseye bubble coral. It might not look big in the picture but it is at least 12"×8"
5ead5205ca2d9a6e139bc4283368a0ae.jpg

OP
OP
Dilan Patel

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys these are amazing. Yall should be proud of the corals you have posted. Just think of the hard work/dedication it took to get each coral to where you have it today. I know I am proud of what seems to be an easy coral to grow but its really about the dedication to the hobby for me. With that being said I will get an updated pic of the coral and post it for yall :) keep this going. This thread shows that people have success with growing all types of corals/living creatures. Thank you all for participating!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back