Share your under tank filtration

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Reefmon, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Reefmon

Reefmon Well-Known Member

Not everyone is lucky to have a basement or fish room. Like many other reefers, I'm forced to put everything under tank (in my stand).

I'm curious to see how everyone who are limited to putting all their filtration under the tank making it work.

crabs_mcjones likes this.
    Tags:

2. Downbeach

Downbeach Well-Known Member

I was limited to my stand too, so I had a 36" X 16" X 16" sump with a skimmer, GAC and GFO reactors hanging on the side, BP reactor and return pump. The balance of the space was consumed with my 5 gal. ATO bucket, two 1 gal. dosing containers and my controllers, power strips, etc. on a couple closet maid stacking racks.

3. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

I don't have a pic, but I've got most things in the sump and my recirc skimmer is external but still fits under the stand. Hopefully others will chime in with pics.

4. Reefmon

Thanks guys. I'm really hoping more people will share their set up. I'm like downbeach in regards to my set up. I want to go bigger with the sump so it'll make everything even more tight

5. Reefmon

Mdbannister, is your skimmer in the sump or out? Please post pics if you have iy

6. smh254

smh254 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

Here's my filtration on my 40g breeder its 20g. ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438871218.595169.jpg

glb, mtswaneya, Dtackett and 2 others like this.
  7. Rockinreefs

Rockinreefs Active Member R2R Supporter

here's my new build i've got going on plan in posting a build thread in week or so but here's a sneak peak i've got a 55 RR deep blue professional tank with a windrider creations custom sump and Finnex Titanium Heater and a Bubble Magus - C3.5 w otw for my Protein Skimmer

Attached Files:

8. Reefmon

9. Reefmon

That's sharp smh254

10. Matt23469

Matt23469 Well-Known Member MTRCMember

55g sump infer my 125 image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

11. ca2or

ca2or Well-Known Member

You don't want to see mine. It goes against pretty much all reefing logic. I was going to start a thread to track results and either prove concept or prove traditional logic. That build looks like it is going to be epic

12. Reefmon

Let's see it

13. Russ265

Russ265 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

here is mine....

[​IMG]

perhaps you noted the lack of a skimmer. you would be correct.

perhaps the lack of macro algae makes it even stranger. i guess we could agree ;)

perhaps the gfo not running atm, means i am a lazy procrastinator. you can decide.

i do have a chiller though :)
    and i dose no3.

did you see the clothes line pins? yes they hold the algae scrubber that collects detritus. Not it's intended prey... but prey none-the-less. "be free ats".

the towel is to ward off evil spirits

the sponge is just something my dolpin diamond amp master 6250 type 3 can look at on lonely nights

and yes. my tile is 18"

that is all

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  14. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

I have 48" x 24" to work with under my 140. I made a sump out of a 40B. My goal was to have everything needing regular maintenance at the front of my sump, so that I wouldn't put off maintenance because a reactor, filter sock, or skimmer was difficult to get to. Everything is very easy to get to and any component comes out of the sump in seconds. There is also a return pump and a manifold pump behind the reactors. Both mounted with unions and come out easily for maintenance.

[​IMG]

Dosing containers that are not visible in the top picture. The containers slide into place from the back of the stand. I have since changed these containers out with opaque white plastic containers of the same shape and style, but slightly smaller (the ones partially visible in the pic above).

[​IMG]

Filter sock compartment. Dosing and ATO also drips into this section.

[​IMG]

Small frag tank with adjustable (removable shelves) & LED on the right end of the sump.

[​IMG]

This is the plumbing from my manifold to the two reactors and frag section. The NextReef reactors are on 1/2" quick disconnects.

[​IMG]

None of the electronics (other than the doser and the LED frag light) are under the stand. All of that is mounted either on the outside of the back of the stand, or the back of the canopy. My tank sits at an angle in one corner of my living room. I can actually walk behind the tank for complete access to everything. Sort of like having a little fish room behind the tank.

15. kevinsmixed90

kevinsmixed90 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

That looks very professional! Well laid out how long did it take you to figure out how to plumb all that? lastly, where did you get those dosing containers?

16. Fin

Fin Let the Fin Begin! R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Thank you! I won't lie, it did take a while to figure out where I wanted everything and how to get it there. I had the sump sitting in my office at home and tinkered with it and put it together a little at a time. Here is a picture of the sump from above, with none of the components in place.

[​IMG]

I will probably do it over again for an upgrade I have coming up in a few months. I have a new tank on order from Reef Savvy, so I will be tearing my old system down. I think I will make the sump from scratch though and not use the 40B. I can make the sump a little wider that way. There are a few precious inches of space inside the stand that are wasted. I think I will lose the frag section in the next version. I find that I don't use it much. I might do something else with that space. Other than that, I have been really pleased with the sump. I have had it up and running for about 14 months now.

The containers I use now came from US Plastics - http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=44510&catid=611
    The original containers (the clear ones) came from K-Mart, but I had a problem with them leaking. The ones from US Plastics work perfectly. They also have a 5L size.

17. kevinsmixed90

kevinsmixed90 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Thanks for the info Gary, You definitely have a talent and an eye for detail. Can't wait to see what you come up with on your new build:). Take care

Fin likes this.
  18. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I don't have a sump and there is nothing under my tank. The tank is in a closet with just a HOB home made skimmer (as old as that phone on the wall) In the tank are two powerheads and 2 heaters behind rocks in the dark. There is an algae scrubber "trough" above the tank and a reverse UG filter under the gravel so that is about it.

[​IMG]

jetmaker, Russ265, Acameron2 and 2 others like this.
  19. smh254

smh254 Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

This is my 40 breeder with 20g sump ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1438964485.901773.jpg

20. greg 45

greg 45 Well-Known Member

new pictures 139.jpg
    sorry wont fit new pictures 139.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted