Shark for a 30g??

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably about to bashed for asking this, but is there any small species of shark that could live in a 30 gallon tank. Now that said I would be willing to hatch one and sell it once it get too big.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry more about finding a buyer for the shark first. If you can find somebody (and make them sign a contract making them buy the shark from you after you've raised it to a certain size, under penalty of monetary fines), then there are a few species that might work.

I first suggest looking at MonsterFishKeepers. There's an excellent thread in the Marine/Brackish forum there on the minimum tank size for sharks. You can then extrapolate the maximum size shark that would fit in the 30 gallon based off of its dimensions. Comparing that data with available knowledge on how large certain shark species are upon hatching will allow you to figure out what type of shark you can "keep" in the tank.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! I have a guy that owns a lfs that I know for sure would buy it.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean even if you were to find somthing that was in the three to 4 inch range i would imagine it would grow rather quickly. Also it would put a major bio load in a thirty gallon. Is your thirty gallon set up? And what fish do you have in it and what sort of filtration?

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is not set up, but there is a catch to that. Basically I have a 7 year old 15 gallon, and I’m literally transferring all the water, live rock, bio-balls, etc. So I’m not concerned about the bio-load. I’m honestly asking for future reference. I’m buying the tank next month.

BigRed78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So according to what I found online catsharks grow up to a foot in there first year. It seems like this would be a very shorterm project.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right! I have a guy that owns a lfs that I know for sure would buy it.
That's great! But does he have a 600 gallon system ready for an adult shark? Or is there somebody in the area that has one? Note that 600 gallons is the MINIMUM for the smallest of adult sharks commonly found in aquariums (dwarf lanternsharks, cookie cutters, etc. don't apply here). It's important that you make sure that the fish is taken care of ethically throughout its life, not just while you acquire the egg, have your fun, and give it to a newbie. And before you say "but there's a public aquarium!" keep in mind that public aquaria aren't just the dumping grounds for people with tankbuster fish, and that sometimes public aquaria just can't take a fish for any number of reasons (already overstocked, not enough staff on hand, etc.).

You should also look into reading both the Elasmobranch Husbandry Manual (available online for free) and its 2007 update (also available online for free). And look into the MFK reference I gave you. Before you purchase any mermaid's purses.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of public aquaria, have you considered volunteering (or working) for one to get your shark care fix? I know that it can be hard, especially since a lot of the ones with shark exhibits tend to be either near city capitals, and not everybody lives in those areas. But it might be worth a try to do that instead.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon is small for a lot of things. Since you haven’t bought it yet, is there any particular reason you can’t go with something like a 50 gallon? It isn’t an actual shark, but my Columbian Shark looks and behaves very much like a reef shark, especially at meal time. I bought him in freshwater at 4 inches and got him acclimated to full salt over the course of a day. They are catfish that are born in freshwater and move to high brackish and saltwater as adults, but can obviously be switched over sooner. I’ve had him for a year or two. He’s pretty good size in my 125 but I think he would be fine in a 50 long term.

OP
OP
O

Omakoshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon is small for a lot of things. Since you haven’t bought it yet, is there any particular reason you can’t go with something like a 50 gallon? It isn’t an actual shark, but my Columbian Shark looks and behaves very much like a reef shark, especially at meal time. I bought him in freshwater at 4 inches and got him acclimated to full salt over the course of a day. They are catfish that are born in freshwater and move to high brackish and saltwater as adults, but can obviously be switched over sooner. I’ve had him for a year or two. He’s pretty good size in my 125 but I think he would be fine in a 50 long term.
I would like to do a 50 gallon, but I do not have the space or the money. I'm lucky that the 30g tank I'm getting is an all in one.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL when I saw this title the first word in my head was "no"

If you don't plan to keep a reef and just want a shark it's easier to get a larger tank,

Filtration can be much less without coral/reef etc. Sharks are more resilient than Coral I'm sure. Im not an expert on sharks.

But a 150G Shark only tank, with a Canister filter would honetsly probably work, just spend more money on a larger tank, and less on equipment since you're not going to add coral. You dont need dosers, or special lighting etc etc.

Unless it's a space thing, then just dont.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back