Sharkbait’s 40 Breeder Upgrade

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems the abundant dieoff has kicked off a bacterial bloom and mini cycle, which explains the still-cloudy water and unhappy corals. I will say that in spite of all the troubles, it’s been quite a while since the water actually smelled like a proper reef tank and doesn’t appear with a yellow tint.
I feel ya on the yellow water. My biocube that has been running for about 20 years has the same issue. No matter how much water I change, it is almost immediately yellow again. I chalk it up to the rock just being completely loaded with organics after years of neglect. One of the main reasons nothing but the fish will be transfered to the 60 gal cube when it is finished.

PS I love the smell you are talking about! Although I can't really smell it much anymore due to my bout with covid about two years ago. My sense of smell never has fully recovered. My wife would look at me funny when I used to stand over my tank and take a big whiff! Lol

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas, everyone!
The tank is looking much better now, and corals are opening up again. I also have moved the Blenny into the tank. I’m first observing how it reacts to the new conditions before I let it hide away in a corner.
IMG_9154.jpeg

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing well so far! Corals are looking nice and the blenny is finally fat and healthy! I wish I could post a good picture but he’s pretty camera shy.
I decided to move the cardinal in early as well, as he was showing signs of stress in the quarantine tank, and I didn’t want things to get worse.
IMG_9326.jpeg
IMG_9327.jpeg

Have a happy new year, everyone!

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing well so far! Corals are looking nice and the blenny is finally fat and healthy! I wish I could post a good picture but he’s pretty camera shy.
I decided to move the cardinal in early as well, as he was showing signs of stress in the quarantine tank, and I didn’t want things to get worse.
IMG_9326.jpeg
IMG_9327.jpeg

Have a happy new year, everyone!
Tank is looking great!

Happy New Year to you and yours as well! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am glad to be putting 2023 in the rear view mirror!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had thought moving it into the display tank would help its survival, but I woke up this morning to a dead cardinal fish. I have no clue what happened. It looked quite healthy in QT and was cruising around the tank happily last night. Are cardinals not as hardy as they seem?
IMG_9335.jpeg

Last edited:

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had thought moving it into the display tank would help its survival, but I woke up this morning to a dead cardinal fish. I have no clue what happened. It looked quite healthy in QT and was cruising around the tank happily last night. Are cardinals not as hardy as they seem?
IMG_9335.jpeg
That's no Bueno.

I personally have never had good luck with them.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s about 3 inches or so. I was worried it could be a juvie banana wrasse (t. Lutescens) so it’s good to hear someone else confirm it’s a Chrysus.
Might not throw that out yet. I would have expected more green in the face, but I could be wrong.

@i cant think does the yellow wrasse above (3 inches) look like H. chrysus or T. lutescens?

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two new fish in QT, a percula clown and a yellow coris wrasse. I also added a second powerhead to increase water circulation and surface agitation.
IMG_9397.jpeg
IMG_9406.jpeg
True Percs are my favorite non designer clownfish!!! My pair have been with me for about 13 years now!

I'd share a pic if I wasn't so embarrassed by how their current digs look!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might not throw that out yet. I would have expected more green in the face, but I could be wrong.

@i cant think does the yellow wrasse above (3 inches) look like H. chrysus or T. lutescens?
That’s a true chrysus, and a stunning one if it’s transitioning at 3 inches.
I’ve had wrasses that don’t transition until they’re near enough max size.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the litho, which has been through it all since almost day one, fell into my Duncan and went through serious damage. Hoping some of the flesh returns, but it seems rather unlikely.
IMG_9571.jpeg

In other news, I have added an AquaMaxx Bullet-2 protein skimmer. It was a major hassle to get it on the tank though! Had to shave down a section of the tank’s rim to get the skimmer to fit!!
IMG_9573.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back