Sharks

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very large reef tank in mind but i was thinking can i fit 2 blacktip reef sharks into a 8 by 8 by 3 meter with space for other fish like trevally and maybe a zebra shark?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, too small. Blacktips get to be 8 feet long, I know cuz I saw quite a few in 300 dives in the Western Pacific, (Guam, Saipan, Truk Lagoon and the Philippines). Also, tank would have to be curved because they need to swim constantly.

OP
OP
MaverickFalcon4

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, too small. Blacktips get to be 8 feet long, I know cuz I saw quite a few in 300 dives in the Western Pacific, (Guam, Saipan, Truk Lagoon and the Philippines). Also, tank would have to be curved because they need to swim constantly.
err wait are you thinking im talking meters or feet? im talking 8 by 8 meters

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said tank is 8 Meters, which is 24 feet, still too small for Blacktip, Which get to be 2.5 meters long

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a tank about 300 meters long at least. So I would go with an Epaulet shark, nice and small.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but more than likely will transfer them out when they get bigger. Google maximum size for a Blacktip.

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black tips are cruisers with miles of territory in the wild. They are not suited for all but astronomically sized aquariums. They can also jump several feet out of the water. We catch them all the time off oyster bars and near mangroves when fishing for snook and redfish sometimes in a foot of water.

That said, an 8 meter square tank is massive and IMO a small 2'-3' or so young black tip is likely going to be fine. Once they get to 6' you will likely want to rehome them but that is a ways off. You will need some kind of cover or method to keep them from jumping out.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very large reef tank in mind but i was thinking can i fit 2 blacktip reef sharks into a 8 by 8 by 3 meter with space for other fish like trevally and maybe a zebra shark?

It's not April the 1st is it? ;Nailbiting
tenor_8160447_mediumgif_184709422000577.gif

OP
OP
MaverickFalcon4

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black tips are cruisers with miles of territory in the wild. They are not suited for all but astronomically sized aquariums. They can also jump several feet out of the water. We catch them all the time off oyster bars and near mangroves when fishing for snook and redfish sometimes in a foot of water.

That said, an 8 meter square tank is massive and IMO a small 2'-3' or so young black tip is likely going to be fine. Once they get to 6' you will likely want to rehome them but that is a ways off. You will need some kind of cover or method to keep them from jumping out.
then what about zerba sharks

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS has one close to a metre long, in a tank roughly 6 × 3 x 3 m with curved walls... poor thing swims around all day in circles.....some life for a once a week public feeding show. Why even consider a species like this?

OP
OP
MaverickFalcon4

MaverickFalcon4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my LFS has one close to a metre long, in a tank roughly 6 × 3 x 3 m with curved walls... poor thing swims around all day in circles.....some life for a once a week public feeding show. Why even consider a species like this?
yeah i get it not a good idea

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was idly scrolling through these messages, I thought to myself "wow, 8x8m is almost the square footage of the ground floor of my (small) house!". That's not a tank -- that's a small pond! I suppose an outdoor build would be possible in Singapore...

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just so you know you are talking about two completely different species.

The Blacktip Shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) is a species which is found in tropical & sub-tropical areas of the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian Oceans. They are semi-pelagic species which can grow to 8.5-9 feet. They can only be kept long term in public aquariums with 500,000 gallons(1.9 million liters) or more.

Then there is the Blacktip reef Shark (Carcharhinus melanopterus), which is found mainly near reefs of the Indo-pacific. They max out at about 6-6.5 feet(1.8-2 meters), and average about 5.25 feet (1.6 meters). And they are widely found in Public aquariums around the world. They can even be kept long term in very large private aquaria of at least 15,000 gallons(57,000 liters) or more. If that aquaria has a footprint of at least 450-500 square feet.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back