SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found you, thanks for that, pictures still look great on here[emoji23]

Stalker!! Lol

I think it's because there is a much higher upload limit, if indeed there is one, so they look much better on here.

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are around 12ppm which although are not to bad they are higher than I want, so I've purchased the Brightwell Xport NO3 Brick to see if, and how it works. The write up seems very good, but I am aware of the various comments on forums about these but I shall see what happens.

I've seeded it overnight with Microbacter7 which I've never tried before, and put it into my sump on the left hand side as per the photo below. When it was soaking it had already developed white slimy bacterial flocks so there is certainly some in the bottle!

I'm running NoPox already so that will be a carbon source for the bacteria.

IMG_0906.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are around 12ppm which although are not to bad they are higher than I want, so I've purchased the Brightwell Xport NO3 Brick to see if, and how it works. The write up seems very good, but I am aware of the various comments on forums about these but I shall see what happens.

I've seeded it overnight with Microbacter7 which I've never tried before, and put it into my sump on the left hand side as per the photo below. When it was soaking it had already developed white slimy bacterial flocks so there is certainly some in the bottle!

I'm running NoPox already so that will be a carbon source for the bacteria.

IMG_0906.JPG
Tagging. :)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nitrates after a few days with the XPort NO3 brick and they are still around 12-16ppm so although I know it's very early days i just thought I would check levels out. Patience is not my thing!

I basically want to feed the fish more primarily to stop the Regal Tank eating my Zoa's! He's just finished off 2 of my first colonies the little sh..!!

I've tried Purigen before just in the 100ml bag, and having read about it again, andresearched as much as I can about it and carbon dosing (nopox in my case), I'm going to give it ago to try and remove some of the extra 'organics' before they turn into Nitrate. I'vepurchased the Seachem 'The Bag', which is a bag surprisingly enough, and 500 ml of purigen and I've added half to the bag and put it into the sump. So we shall see what happens withthe Nitrate levels from a combination of angles.

The Nitrate is not causing any major issues at the moment but I just want to bring themdown under my control and in summary I'm currently running Rhowaphos for Phosphate control and now a combination of NoPOx and Purigen for Nitrate control (hopefully!)

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a video below which I think is now in HD and is at a time when the Hydra 26's are going 'blue' during a 'storm effects' stage.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done a video below which I think is now in HD and is at a time when the Hydra 26's are going 'blue' during a 'storm effects' stage.

Shaun,
Pretty cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(lol)
I just can't keep my eyes off your little Regal Angel. :)

Thanks for sharing, Freddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 Blue Throat Triggers are acting odd again and I could be imagining it but the female looks to have an extended abdomen. Anyway they have been doing their funny rituals...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 Blue Throat Triggers are acting odd again and I could be imagining it but the female looks to have an extended abdomen. Anyway they have been doing their funny rituals...

Shaun,
That's a great video.
I'd swear, she's full of eggs. :D

Freddie

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
That's a great video.
I'd swear, she's full of eggs. :D

Freddie
That's what I've been thinking but they have been behaving funny before but have become very aggressive whenever I stick my Flipper cleaner in the tank and attack it. I've never seen a fish spawn so don't know what they do! I assume they just lay eggs somewhere.....

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I've been thinking but they have been behaving funny before but have become very aggressive whenever I stick my Flipper cleaner in the tank and attack it. I've never seen a fish spawn so don't know what they do! I assume they just lay eggs somewhere.....
Shaun,
If she does lay eggs and they spawn. I figure they'll go into to mama and daddy mode to protect the eggs.
It would be awesome to see them spawn but for the rest of your fish :eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaun,
If she does lay eggs and they spawn. I figure they'll go into to mama and daddy mode to protect the eggs.
It would be awesome to see them spawn but for the rest of your fish :eek: :eek: :eek:
I never thought of that!!

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided yesterday it was time to change my main pump over as I purchased a spare one for back up. The original is out of warranty and the new one is still under warranty so I wanted to make sure the new one works ok rather than wait for emergency and find out it didn't work! So what I intend to do is run them each for 6 months ish and then swap them over, clean etc.

Anyway I got up this morning to find the NYOS Quantum 160 skimmer going haywire. Those of you who have the NYOS will now what I mean next.... So i started to turn the skimmer tube 'open' to increase the flow through the skimmer (and reduce the water height) and it didn't do anything!

Now having forgotten how the NYOS is built up, I decided i had better take it to bits to see if anything was blocked. So i wrestled the wire out of my 'tangled' mass of wires and removed the NYOS. One thing is for sure its not as beautiful looking as when I put it in!

Anyway there was nothing wrong with it so I just cleaned it as best I could and put it back in, and its up and running fine again.

So you are asking what was the problem then. Well if you look at the photo below you will see at the bottom of the long tube there is a hole for the water to flow through. Now if you turn it to far it actually completely closes the hole and stays closed as the hole rotates all the way around the back of the tube until it comes back around again and then back to open. So that was the reason it had water rushing out of the top as the outlet was closed even though I was trying to open it.

I think the probable cause of the over skimming was something in the new pump probably from the manufacturing process affecting the water tension and just sent the skimmer crazy.

And those of you who have the NYOS, can you think of anyway to clean the gunk out at the bottom of the long tube ? I couldn't see anyway to get inside the tube although its not watertight and the caps didn't feel like they wanted to move ?

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rubber tube comes off but I can't see how to get into the round chamber itself Looks like it's sealed but there must be a way. Might have to ask NYOS
Are you saying that the down tube is sealed at the bottom (on the left) or are you wanting to get inside the protein skimmer chamber?

OP
OP
SPR1968

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that the down tube is sealed at the bottom (on the left) or are you wanting to get inside the protein skimmer chamber?
Yes the long tube appears sealed were the gunk is but it can't be. It's probably a problem I've imagined like your 'main pump antics'! Lol

I've emailed NYOS as I don't want to break it in a years time when I next clean it!!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...
Start at about 21 mins. in the video.

You might have to soak the tube in vinegar.

I'm keeping my Bubble King. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back