Sherman’s bta shrunk down not looking good

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this georgeous Sherman’s bta about 3 days ago now and it was about 4-5 inches and looking good with all the parameters in the tank stable. It’s shrunk down to almost nothing after I woke up from a nap and saw it all shriveled up please help me figure out what’s wrong. The other day fed the corals reefroids and gave the nem some Mysis and brine too. And did a water change yesterday too. Can anyone tell me what I can do to help it. This things not cheap and I’m very attached to it :(
Temp 75.3 F
Calc. 450
Mag 1450
Alk 11.8 dkh
Nitrates about 20ppm

Thank you
Below is a picture of it open and a picture of it all shriveled up both under white lights

4D030398-39C3-44D4-B7E9-77C22EF0DC8E.jpeg

34EF710E-112E-454B-A983-6E5ED29431A6.jpeg

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your running Radions, How old is your tank?
This particular tank is about a year old now and yeah so far the Radeons have worked pretty well will all the corals it’s a pretty mixed tank with very few sps. I’ve had tanks for a long time though (maybe like 7 years now 5 salt) but this is the first anemone and been dying to get one

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your other posts and nothing is jumping out at me. I have had nems act weird for a few days after introducing them to my tank. Lets get some more eyes on it. #reefsquad anyone familiar with Shermans?

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at your other posts and nothing is jumping out at me. I have had nems act weird for a few days after introducing them to my tank. Lets get some more eyes on it. #reefsquad anyone familiar with Shermans?
Thanks it just means a lot to me the one thing I’ve been waiting on is getting a nice Bta and would rather be over cautious than let it die and wither away

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything I would be too concerned about this early after adding it. It does look like maybe it is trying to "hide" from the light, so it could be lighting related.

I would personally prefer a higher temperature and lower alkalinity, but I'm not sure that would cause any major issues with the anemone.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything I would be too concerned about this early after adding it. It does look like maybe it is trying to "hide" from the light, so it could be lighting related.

I would personally prefer a higher temperature and lower alkalinity, but I'm not sure that would cause any major issues with the anemone.

I was thinking same, temp at 78, alk little lower and stable at that number.

Anemone's hold a lot of water, it can take days or a week for them to acclimate to your new tank params, and your numbers may be a bit different from what it came from.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my fair share of RBTAs and I think that the advise above is all spot on. Temp is just a tiny bit cool, and the alk is a couple of points higher than I would like, but IMHO not an issue. And as stated above, nems can take days, a week or even longer to really get settled in. It doesn't look stressed to me either. I think it will be fine.

Eb1air

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have a nem for a yr now n it shrinks every time it eats n is healthy it scared me first time it did it dont be nervous about it

Porkstar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 Shermans in my other tank. 1 was showing signs of death. Don’t feed or provide too much flow. It’s been 3 weeks now and it’s doing well. Be patient.

OP
OP
pokegirl1332

pokegirl1332

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to see in the pic it’s decided to move up the glass and right now it’s right next to my mp40 and almost at the top of the tank, tried to gently grab it to move it away but can’t seem to get it to detach feel like I’m just hurting it. Some of the tentacles look a bit shriveled

62592DF3-A07A-4078-9949-35F3F85AF73E.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well maybe it has quickly acclimated to lights and looking for more, that's my guess normally when they are climbing up high on glass.

Easiest and safest way to remove is use something like an old credit card or similar, get a lift under it's foot and should be easy to peel from glass.

Maybe place higher up on rockwork if you have a place for it.

BTA's, they are just known to wander, it's hard to make sense of patterns compared to other nem species.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back