Shipped a coral for the first time and am very happy with the results.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for over 3 years and have never shipped corals, that is until yesterday. Reef2reef helped me out a ton when it came to what to use, how to pacl, etc. I know most people start out with cheap corals to sort of do a test drive but I took quite a gamble. I shipped a 350$ piece and it did just fine! Even going all the way up to washington state!! I was just so excited and also relieved that it got there and I did a good job packing it. At first I was skeptical about shipping but now I'm just like let's sell something else :) Just wanted to share this as I am happy and also wanted to give thanks to the r2r community for the info!

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start shipping more often get an impulse sealer. They are like $35 on eBay and you never have to worry about tying bags or rubber bands again. No leaks or drips.

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you start shipping more often get an impulse sealer. They are like $35 on eBay and you never have to worry about tying bags or rubber bands again. No leaks or drips.
I will have to look into that. I dont mind tying bags and know the likelihood of them coming undone is very slim but it still worries me
Great to hear. My first time shipping was mixed success. Lol I didn't double bag.
Oh no!! I was thinking about triple bagging just because the coral was worth 350 $ but I thought 2 bags would be enough

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear. Im gonna take a stab at it also because im sick of selling locally. Got any good links to info you received that makes or breaks a successful shipping experience?

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/pr...ping-discussion/11490-how-i-ship-frags-4.html
Also if its a frag of something other than polyps that you dont want touching anything I got this idea from gonzo. Use little dixie sauce cups, cut an x in the middle and I used a dremmel to put little holes throughout the sides of the cup. I put the frag in the middle so the stalk of the plug goes through the bottom and it will stay in place and won't get beat up. This is best for chalices

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. E. Do you put the lid on the dixie cup also or leave it open and just for side protection? Did you roll fed ex? What did you tell them it was if that's the case?

Smnparish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I shipped my first corals a few weeks ago and they weren't cheap either! Now I can't wait to sell more, I think when I get back from vacation I'm gonna frag everything I can haha! The local market for those high end corals I like is just so small here, and almost nonexistent in the summer! I like the Dixie cup method tooBtw, I'd be interested in some deductions in the future...:)

OP
OP
Mr. E Wrasse

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. E. Do you put the lid on the dixie cup also or leave it open and just for side protection? Did you roll fed ex? What did you tell them it was if that's the case?
I did not put the top on for the cup becaue the chalice was small enough where the top rim was higher than the frag and yes I went through fedex! I read in one of the shipping threads to not tell them it's live coral but they didnt ask me anyways! And I will keep you in mind smnparish if I ever decide to frag those beauties :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back