Shipped Fish. To acclimate or not

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on amquel and Acclimation is highly recommended. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water in the bag, and that in turn, makes the residual ammonia very toxic to the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with Amquel. Does it still have the limitation of not being able to be used in water with copper in it? What’s its advantage over Prime?

Amquel was the original ammonia detoxifier. It was invented by John Kuhns for Kordon. There are some arguments that Prime is not as effective at detoxifying ammonia, (I can't confirm if that is true) and of course, the issue with Prime and Cupramine is well known. I'm always worried about using any reducing agent in water that has been dosed with amine-based copper products....but I don't have any reports of Amquel, when dosed properly causes any issues.

Amquel + is a different product, I do not have much experience with that....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back