Shipping Procedure Questions

reefer999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to give shipping corals a try, but I'm hesitant as to what to do exactly. So I've been reading through the threads here to learn the best way to ship frags. Here is the stuff I am thinking of using to ship the frags.

Styrofoam Box 3/4" thick
These are the USPS flat rate size that fit into the boxes at the post office. I know some people don't like USPS and prefer UPS or FedEx, but all the corals that I've bought from other reefers have used USPS next day as their shipping method.

4"x4" 4MIL Ziploc Bags
I got these because I've had corals shipped in this size bags. The 4 mil is just to ensure that nothing leaks or ruptures. I read somewhere here that 3MIL was fine, but I just wanted to make sure so I went a size up.

1" Empty Vending Machine Capsules
I've received one shipment like this and thought it was a really neat idea, then I also saw it in buddythelion review on here from planet zoa, so I'm thinking this is the best way to ship zoas.

Uniheat 40 Hour Heat Pack
These were on the site where I saw the styrofoam boxes and the ship aquatics site that someone linked on here so I thought these are the way to go.

Shipping Peanuts
Black Plastic Bag
Bubble Wrap

Procedure and Questions:

So I'm thinking about placing the black plastic bag in side the box. Then filling it with some peanuts. After that I don't know if I should wrap all the ziploc bags together with bubble wrap and place it in the box or if I should just put the bags in the by themselves? Also for the bags how much should I fill them up with water half-way, 3/4, all? Then I'm just going to fill the rest of the box with more peanuts. After that I'm going to close the black plastic bag with everything in it. I've read that the corals don't transpire/oxygenate or some other term don't recall if they're not receiving light so that is why I'm using the black plastic bag. Does this help at all or is it just a myth? For the heat pack how do I prepare it, I've read you should let it sit for 30 minutes, I've also read an hour or two, and then I've also read to wrap it paper towels when you're preheating it? I'm thinking about taping it in the middle of the lid without covering that thing that needs to stay warm, but should I place it to the side where it can get more air? Should I make a slot for it on the lid? Then just close the box and put the shipping label and done. For the USPS shipping I created an account and whenever I try to simulate a postage there is only the option for 2 day shipping then I read on the description for the service and says that it gets there the next day in most areas. I don't know if I should trust that or just go to the post office and have them do it for me. Also does anyone know any place that makes boxes the size of the USPS flat rate box in case some people want to do FedEx or UPS instead? I don't think I can use the USPS boxes because I think it would be against the law or something like that they have it labeled on them. Any other things that I'm forgetting about or should know? Please let me know your thoughts and input. Thank you all for your time.

OP
OP
reefer999

reefer999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hopefully more people can chime in and give me their input/suggestions as well as answer some of my questions.

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would offer advice, but I'm probably not the best to ask... I'm still learning. I sell local but have been wanting to offer shipping for a while now...

OP
OP
reefer999

reefer999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are my questions probably too long of a post for people to be interested in reading lol:

Should I wrap all the ziploc bags together with bubble wrap and place it in the box or should I just put the bags in there by themselves? Also for the bags how much should I fill them up with water half-way, 3/4, all?

For the heat pack how do I prepare it, I've read you should let it sit for 30 minutes, I've also read an hour or two, and then I've also read to wrap it paper towels when you're preheating it? I'm thinking about taping it in the middle of the lid without covering that thing that needs to stay warm, but should I place it to the side where it can get more air? Should I make a slot for it on the lid?

For the USPS shipping I created an account and whenever I try to simulate a postage there is only the option for 2 day shipping then I read on the description for the service and says that it gets there the next day in most areas. I don't know if I should trust that or just go to the post office and have them do it for me?

Also does anyone know any place that makes boxes the size of the USPS flat rate box in case some people want to do FedEx or UPS instead?

Please let me know your thoughts and input. Thank you all for your time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back