Shots of my reef.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just showing off my flatworms and hair algae in full glory.

IMG_1404058.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Shot with Canon Rebel t3 with 55-250mm f4-5.6 EF-s

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like Red Planaria, Not AEFW your SPS looks to have good Polyp extension which you would not have if it were the latter. Try some Flatworm exit to get them buggers gone. JMO
Bill

Reed639

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont leave flatworms untreated the faster you take care of them the easier they are to get rid of.
As said only get flatworm exit be salifert that should take care of them super fast.

OP
OP
B

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the 6 line eating those flatworms?
It's really hard to say. This tank is heavily loaded with flatworms but they do seem to be concentrated on coral where the 6 line can not get them. Of my 3 tanks, this one is the only one that dont have them all over the glass so I think the 6 line does get some of them.

I have flatworm exit. I'm just scared to use it. I did a coral treatment outside the tank during a water change to drop the numbers. Already knocked them out of a 12 gallon reef. Still got a 20L to do also.

They are definately red planaria. I have obviously had them for a while now. I didn't treat them when I spotted them. Then they multiplied to the point where it was to late. Unfortunately, I have some zoas in my 20L that are completely covered to the point they can't get light. It's gonna take a heavy vacuuming during a treatment in that tank.

One thing I can say from experience... Kill flatworms as soon as you see them. Even if it is just one flatworm that you see and you have to overpay for flatworm exit.

Hair algae is my next battle. I had a large batch of this in my HOB refugium. It broke off and went into my display during the night. By the time I even saw it during the day, I had a tank wide outbreak.

I'm thinking about getting a blenny to eat this. lawnmowers are appearently nice fish to have but I know little about them. I would also worry about it with my pair of coral banded shrimp.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the flatworm exit, you just have to be prepared to do water changes after you treat them. Using GAC will also help. The flatworm exit is not harmful to the tank, its the toxins put off from the worm when they begin dying.

A lawnmower blenny might help, but snails will as well. Are you using anything to keep your nitrates and phosphates down? I have had great results in my 10 gallon nano with chemipure and purigen just sitting in the back of a HOB filter. no algae anywhere.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I have a very very fat 6 line that got that way from eating algae eating flatworms and pods....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back