Should i add a canopy?

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've just ordered 2 xr30s g5 pro for my 4x2 feet tank. Problem is I've got a newborn at home. Question is should I add a canopy to protect him from the lights? Or will it b fine with it? Thx

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Canopies are awesome. Night and day when viewing the tank. I got my newborn a pair of "coral glasses", blue blockers, but the canopy definitely helped. He's now almost 6 months and completely addicted to the tank.

I'm not sure if the canopy will protect him/her any more from the lights than it will protect adults, since youll be controlling where they view the tank from.

OP
OP
D

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in the living room. He'll pass it many times a day. Just wanna know if the lights will b bad for his eyes. :)

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in the living room. He'll pass it many times a day. Just wanna know if the lights will b bad for his eyes. :)

Bright lights, especially bright blue lights are bad for the eyes. The main issue is looking at it for long durations, something that he will likely be doing with the tank, but not the lights.

The point I was making is that if the lights bother your eyes, they will bother his. If not, then they're probably already not giving enough spill over to cause damage. A child will have many years of staring at that tank though. So, I think a canopy is a must have considering the exposure that they will have... But I also consider a pair of blue blocking shades a must have for the baby too.

You want to protect their eyes the best you can for as long as you can. Especially considering the amount of blue light from electronic devices they'll be exposed to over the years that we werent exposed to

myakuel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,
I am looking to do something similar on my 220 waterbox but in pvc board. i dont think i have the skills to do it my self on such a large tank, especially if my only option is wall/ceiling mounting bc the tank is rimless. anyone know of a company that could help?
much appreciated

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advanced Acrylic can custom an acrylic canopy for the light.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s any evidence that reef lighting will cause damage to our eyes. Just like you and I will squint and look away from a bright light, so will your child. I would not build a canopy simply for that reason. And I’m advising this as someone with a medical degree. I have two young ones and I don’t have an enclosed canopy. Hope this helps!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back