Should I add Water conditioner to RODI?

Jaybeastin

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 10, 2021
Messages
649
Reaction score
299
Location
94203
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a dumb question but should I add a water conditioner to RODI water ? My answer would be “NO” but I want to be certain. Finally, using RODI after a year of reefing LOL
 
So I would say that RODI water does not need conditioner. However, do you trust your RODI system filters? Do you have a 1 micron filter for chloramines? How do you really know when to change the filters? So I would say, there is no harm to adding conditioner to RODI water. You will sometimes wonder why certain corals aren't doing well, etc. so maybe it helps take chloramines out of the equation? Very thought provoking conversation and I recently started just adding conditioner just in case. Trust no one :-)
 
Why would anyone want to add anything such as conditioner to rodi ?

so my answer is yes you can ….. but why ?
First time using RODI just wondering if I needed it.
 
I do. More out of habit than anything else. I always add Seachem Prime.

I have a full set up RODI with a TDS meter and always keep it maintained . I am not worried about anything getting thru. Just habit, and it allegedly helps slime coat which is important for tangs.

If I stopped would it make a difference? Most likely no. Old habits.. you. Know
 
I've had chloramine get through several carbon blocks. You need a low range test kit (0.02 mg/L) since tests whose first step is 0.5 mg/L are already higher than lethal levels for fish.
 
Probably a dumb question but should I add a water conditioner to RODI water ? My answer would be “NO” but I want to be certain. Finally, using RODI after a year of reefing LOL
No you don’t need to I think that’s the point of rodi the water should have nothing in it to decorate. I could be wrong but I don’t and mine tank is just fine. Good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new