Should I be worried or irritated?

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank by planet aquarium. 235 gal 72x30x25. Silicone is a little sloppy and missing in a 6” gap at the top.
D04CA0F3-CD7B-44A5-9640-18BB5168F3E8.png
09E66A5B-BF30-40A5-A727-54C6B672286D.png 4BD56F51-E199-4445-AA60-248BDEE6A905.png 610B825B-1434-4BC2-A68A-396D69AD9C59.png

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a couple posts about Planet and poor quality and attention to detail this week.....

That silicone work is sloppy. I'd be annoyed and irritated.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, not real happy wit the price it is. It seem like they rushed it. So ordered dec 32. Was told estimated date Jan 24. 24th came and went and said they were running a week or two late. Then the blizzard (LOL) in Dallas hit and they were shut down. But was 9 weeks till delivery. I was irritated that they didn’t give estimated date or timeline and would give me and the vendor different stories.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210309_000209.jpg

At $1900, did you buy direct? Or thru a Dealer (aka LFS)?

I'm looking to buy thru a Dealer.... and if it showed up at the Dealer (lfs) in that condition, I WOULDNT TAKE DELIVERY AND WOULD HAVE WALKED OUT

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210309_000209.jpg

At $1900, did you buy direct? Or thru a Dealer?

I'm looking to buy thru a Dealer.... and if it showed up at the Dealer (lfs) in that condition, I WOULDNT TAKE DELIVERY AND WOULD WALKOUT

Bought from a lfs. Great guys there and no reflection in them. But seems like planet doesn’t have their **** together lately.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought from a lfs. Great guys there and no reflection in them. But seems like planet doesn’t have their **** together lately.
Do you accept the delivery? Hate to be the one that would say that I would have inspected quality at the LFS....and I would have not taken delivery and asked for a 2nd tank or....

20210309_000948.jpg

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you accept the delivery? Hate to be the one that would say that I would have inspected quality at the LFS....and I would have not taken delivery and asked for a 2nd tank or....

20210309_000948.jpg
Yeah I did. Hind sight 20/20. Tank came directly from planet and the stand and sump from the lfs. Will be calling lfs tomorrow.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did. Hind sight 20/20. Tank came directly from planet and the stand and sump from the lfs. Will be calling lfs tomorrow.
I'm guessing a Servive guy from the LFS will be coming out with Planet silicone material to seal off the missing edge... then run-like-hell back to his Service truck to burn rubber out of your driveway..

You gonna ask for a different tank?

Or is a 2nd hand "fix-it-job" gonna satisfy you as a customer?

Curious bc I will be in the market for a new aquarium in 2mos, and Planet has been my #1 choice.

I'm looking at a $4k 310gal tank plus stand.

If I get a "P.O.S." tank for 4g's, I might just murder someone

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing a Servive guy from the LFS will be coming out with Planet silicone material to seal off the missing edge... then run-like-hell back to his Service truck to burn rubber out of your driveway..

You gonna ask for a different tank?

Or is a 2nd hand "fix-it-job" gonna satisfy you as a customer?

Curious bc I will be in the market for a new aquarium in 2mos, and Planet has been my #1 choice.

I'm looking at a $4k 310gal tank plus stand.

If I get a "P.O.S." tank for 4g's, I might just murder someone

Have a good relationship with LFS(dealer) so going to call him. Whole thing was a mess. 9 weeks to get it. Then this. Yeah ain’t cheap. Think total with upgrades to stand, canopy, glass lids, low iron glass. Right about $5k.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it missing in that area or just not sloppy in that area? Also is it visible below the top black bracing when you look into the tank from the outside? I ask as it's not a rimless tank and has the black brace on top so if you don't see it they might not agree with there being an issue as it isn't rimless.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it missing in that area or just not sloppy in that area? Also is it visible below the top black bracing when you look into the tank from the outside? I ask as it's not a rimless tank and has the black brace on top so if you don't see it they might not agree with there being an issue as it isn't rimless.
So it is missing in that 6" space. All the other on top is just a little sloppy. There is a trim/brace on there so you can not see from the outside. And will have a canopy. There is silicone on the outside of the glass with the metal brace.

The silicone on the corners which is visible is all nice and straight. Am I just nit-picking?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it is missing in that 6" space. All the other on top is just a little sloppy. There is a trim/brace on there so you can not see from the outside. And will have a canopy. There is silicone on the outside of the glass with the metal brace.

The silicone on the corners which is visible is all nice and straight. Am I just nit-picking?

If it is missing you are not nit-picking. That is poor QC on their side. I would ask for a new tank or if they 'repair' it I would ask for a discount IF you are okay with that resolution.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As a potential future customer of Planet, this scares the crap out of me....

Its really a borderline btwn is this silicone-job an:

1) esthetics visual flaw only?

Or

2) potential engineering flaw that could lead to problems waaay down the road?

Hyper curious to see how this works out.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So talked to my LFS and I am friends with the manager as well and trust him.

LFS looked at other tanks on the floor and I actually have more silicone on the inside then others. So from a structural integrity stand point it is better and if cleaning the glass overtime some might come off. From the outside, you can not see any of the silicone messiness, and the corners which are visible are all even and straight lined.

So I think it is only esthetically/visually unpleasant when looking closely from the inside of the tank. I am sure I could clean up myself or press them to come out and clean up. But, think I will be okay with how it is.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 100

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betcha a dollar-a-donut the 6in gap happened bc the guy building the tank RAN OUT of black silicone in his caulk gun.

.... rather than going to reload the gun, he said, "eeeeeeh, good enough"

SAD....BUY AMERICAN, HUH? Guy probably an Ex-General Motors Factory Worker

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back