AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
I see these two one monti has brown spots. All levels are in check however I did just get new aquatic life hybrid t5 to go with my Kessil 360. Everything else in the tank seems ok. Is this RTN? I just got the Oregon tort however the monti has been in the tank and fine for 1 month. I put the tort on the sand for about 5 days and last night put him in the spot I want. I also only have turned on 2 of the 4 bulbs with the aquatic life hybrid. Do you guys have any ideas? Should I lower my lights for a bit?
332F5581-C8C9-4972-A9D0-AC9AE18BB1C9.jpeg
9798451D-E838-4C21-B6ED-B2E61EFEC16D.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure the PAR to keep the lighting level constant when you added the hybrid T5s? It does appear that that is tissue recession, at least from what I can tell of the picture.
I didnt have a par meter so I figured turning half on may help vs the entire thing for the t5. I could do it one hour at a time increase per day on the timers for the t5 if you think that may help ? Or something to that effect. I just don’t want to kill my corals. Would you suggest something like that? I’ve never swapped lights or added before. Also that is my iPhone. Not such a great aquarium photo.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s can add significant additional light to the aquarium. If you're not going to use a meter, then I would start at 15 mins a day and slowly work the time up....maybe add 5 minutes every two weeks or something like that.

When I added my T5s to my six A360WEs, I started the T5s at 15 minutes and added 5 minutes each month until I got up to about a hour of run time. Now, I admit that I was probably over cautious, but I did not have any issues going slowly like that.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5s can add significant additional light to the aquarium. If you're not going to use a meter, then I would start at 15 mins a day and slowly work the time up....maybe add 5 minutes every two weeks or something like that.

When I added my T5s to my six A360WEs, I started the T5s at 15 minutes and added 5 minutes each month until I got up to about a hour of run time. Now, I admit that I was probably over cautious, but I did not have any issues going slowly like that.
That’s intense, lol. I ran my hybrid 6 hours right out of the gate lol.

OP
OP
A

AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I turned on half the lights for about 6 hours and I see my monti hates it but other corals did t care as much. Just got the tort so I’m thinking that could be the reason there. Maybe I’ll try slowing it down a bit and just using it for 3 hours and do half an hour step up per week then start the second half of it half an hour per week ramp. This will take me about 4 months to acclimate though is that normal?

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I turned on half the lights for about 6 hours and I see my monti hates it but other corals did t care as much. Just got the tort so I’m thinking that could be the reason there. Maybe I’ll try slowing it down a bit and just using it for 3 hours and do half an hour step up per week then start the second half of it half an hour per week ramp. This will take me about 4 months to acclimate though is that normal?
All you can do is try it an observe how your tank inhabitants behave.

OP
OP
A

AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is try it an observe how your tank inhabitants behave.
Yeah I hear ya. So I am stupid. Forgot to plug back in my ATO after my water change two days ago. After 2.5 g of evaporation I think I know why everything is angry with me... not the lights... so I disabled my alarm on it so I don’t have to unplug it and thus don’t forget to plug it back in. My ATO also does kalk so I’m sure my parameters fluctuated nicely for all my inhabitants. Thanks everyone. I’m still going to light acclimate however just in case that was the issue as well. Ugh ... “head slap”

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear ya. So I am stupid. Forgot to plug back in my ATO after my water change two days ago. After 2.5 g of evaporation I think I know why everything is angry with me... not the lights... so I disabled my alarm on it so I don’t have to unplug it and thus don’t forget to plug it back in. My ATO also does kalk so I’m sure my parameters fluctuated nicely for all my inhabitants. Thanks everyone. I’m still going to light acclimate however just in case that was the issue as well. Ugh ... “head slap”
It happens to all of us! Get parameters stable, and minimize the shock due to new lighting additions.

OP
OP
A

AspiringReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is all solved and everything is good with the corals! Thanks for your guys help. I upped the par with some t5 lights

Back