Should I?..........Biocube

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube I just reset up a few months ago. I have the in tank media basket I use with chemi pure and purigen with floss on the top in my second chamber. I also have in there the eshopp nano skimmer. In the first chamber I am trying out maxspect bio spheres at this time. I do have an ATO and I also have a doser for two part. My perimeters are normally stable and right were I need them with exception PH which I dont chase but I feel is low end(normally 7.8-8.0). Corals are hammers, torch, gallaxia, kenya, duncan, bird nest, shrooms, lots of zoa and poly, pipe organ, goni, and a few more. I also have a mini carpet and sebae with a pair of clowns. My debate is do I go through the work of adding something like the Eshopp Nano cube Refugium (Needs to fit in the original stand) and nano overflow. Everything I have is growing and seem happy how I have it and I have no nutrient issues or algae nuisance. But I know there are many benefits of having a sump having been in aquatics for some time now. I just am not sure something as small as the Nano cube will make that much difference to justify the time and money. Any input is welcomed.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure a sump will do much honestly and if things aren’t broken don’t try to fix them.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but curious how do you like the eshopps nano skimmer and does it fit ok or did you have to modify? I have the 32 but seems like the back chambers are about the same. Thx!

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my biocube since 2013 with no sump. I have some extra live rock in the first chamber, same media setup in the second chamber;however, I run some cheato with a small light. No skimmer either. I've had pretty great success with this setup. Lots of SPS now with good growth. I think you're better off saving the hassle of a sump on such a small tank. Do water changes and you'll be fine. Save the money for an upgrade!

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure a sump will do much honestly and if things aren’t broken don’t try to fix them.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but curious how do you like the eshopps nano skimmer and does it fit ok or did you have to modify? I have the 32 but seems like the back chambers are about the same. Thx!

Yeah on the sump that is why I have been on the fence. Things are doing great but can’t help to wonder if I could get a little more out of it by the extra filtration. I know more water is better but I don’t think the sump I would be looking at would add more then 10 gallons.
On the eshopp skimmer I love it. I have had my biocube for a long time and on the first set up before I moved I had tried three other skimmers and was never happy with them. The eshopp fits in the second chamber with plenty of space left. It has done great and brake in time was pretty fast. I did find with any skimmer it is hard to take off the capture cup in that small space. so I got a syringe (no needle) and attached a small piece of air line on the end. Now I just lift the lid and suck out the contents.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my biocube since 2013 with no sump. I have some extra live rock in the first chamber, same media setup in the second chamber;however, I run some cheato with a small light. No skimmer either. I've had pretty great success with this setup. Lots of SPS now with good growth. I think you're better off saving the hassle of a sump on such a small tank. Do water changes and you'll be fine. Save the money for an upgrade!

Yeah I did the cheato for a while the first time it was set up and it worked good. I like the skimmer I have though and love seeing the crap coming out of the tank. I do 5gal water changes weekly on mine. It is hassle and money to add the sump but I know adding the extra water is always good.

Kevin Mataya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I did the cheato for a while the first time it was set up and it worked good. I like the skimmer I have though and love seeing the crap coming out of the tank. I do 5gal water changes weekly on mine. It is hassle and money to add the sump but I know adding the extra water is always good.
I understand adding water volume. I think the benefits would really be just extending the time between water changes and a bit more stability in chemistry. I consider all the same things, but just recently started to upgrade to a 90 gallon instead.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back