Should I buy a Current USA Marine LED 48 to supplement my black box? (picture included)

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48" L x 13" W x 21" H 55 gallon tank currently being lit by a single black box that's 15" off the water surface. I put the majority of my coral in the center and areas I know where I'll be getting good lighting.

A local reefer posted a 48" Current USA Marine light for cheap (less than $100) that has ramp up and down functions and what not and I was wondering if you think it'd be a good idea to grab to supplement my black box?

Here's a pic of my current lighting situation.

I know for the same price I could get a second black box, but I'm unsure I want to redesign the mounting system I made for it

What are your thoughts?

20200914_003041.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, well maybe...I own 2 units the “Reef” 72 and 48 inch for my 210 and 150 respectively. They both have the same dusk to dawn effects and a goofy “storm mode” if thats your thing..
if PAR and growing corals is your thing then pass. If so it adds more mess underneath with these modules everything plugs in and another display unit + remote
I dunno I got about $500 worth of regrets that shudda been a AI unit or sumthin more “professional” LOL

OP
OP
mell0w

mell0w

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, well maybe...I own 2 units the “Reef” 72 and 48 inch for my 210 and 150 respectively. They both have the same dusk to dawn effects and a goofy “storm mode” if thats your thing..
if PAR and growing corals is your thing then pass. If so it adds more mess underneath with these modules everything plugs in and another display unit + remote
I dunno I got about $500 worth of regrets that shudda been a AI unit or sumthin more “professional” LOL
It would honestly only be to illuminate parts of the tank the black box is missing, so its gotta be better than nothing right? What other options are there for just getting some more light at the far ends of the tank, without buying a 2nd black box

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black box is stronger than the current light.
For me I would buy a 2nd black box and mount them
Next to each other. If that’s not possible I would replace the
The black box and get a longer one.
or the best solution get a t5 hybrid the aqua life
And put the black box in the middle of the two t5

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back