Should I buy?

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you already have to nurse it back to health and you add a yellow tang later and in a 40B, not sure that’s a good idea. I would pick one over the other (purple or yellow )

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe that wasn’t put into words right

I can tell if a fish is really skinny, but what about just a tad thin?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you show me how to tell if a tang is skinny?
You will know it imo compared to a healthy specimen. The stomach is sunk, and it looks like the boniest fish from the ocean. HLLE is another 'dead' giveaway. If you are experienced enough, with a healthy system, (lots of rock to graze will help, along with no aggression from other existing species on introduction) you can manage to bring them back...
Here is my Yellow, she was a little skinny on purchase. You can see very little of that central white bone, she is FAT from grazing constantly. She is 16 years old. The fish doesnt need to be this thick on intake but if its white in colouration whatsoever I would leave it be.

20201230_194046.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would api melafix promote regrow this of fins like it says on the label?

I will be very bummed if I lost this fish that is why I’m asking all of these questions

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would api melafix promote regrow this of fins like it says on the label?

I will be very bummed if I lost this fish that is why I’m asking all of these questions
Ok, let's not worry about that right now imo. You feed the fish right, have a tank with enough grazing space, water parameters are good, then go from there. The fins will grow back. What are your current inhabitants in the system that could stress this little fella. This is a major concern #1 IMO. The fish is under a certain level of stress already, just transferring him to another enviro elevates that. Do you have some bossy clowns that might not take well to the new addition? Do you have mature live rock for the newbie to graze on? More info please and thanks.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns are the ones that were bullied by a six line wrasse

I took him out and now, the wrasse is in my qt, but will most likely go into the sump of my other 40

for my qt/observation tank, there is egg crate, for some frags, a thermometer, an algae clip, some sand , and some rock for hiding places(I know that I will need to remove that for copper and replace with pvc fittings if needed), a 30w heater, and a lid
the qt tank is a 14 gallon cube
Rock is like 8 months old or something, and from previous nano reef in the same tank

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clowns are the ones that were bullied by a six line wrasse

I took him out and now, the wrasse is in my qt, but will most likely go into the sump of my other 40

for my qt/observation tank, there is egg crate, for some frags, a thermometer, an algae clip, some sand , and some rock for hiding places(I know that I will need to remove that for copper and replace with pvc fittings if needed), a 30w heater, and a lid
the qt tank is a 14 gallon cube
Rock is like 8 months old or something, and from previous nano reef in the same tank
So I would place the newbie in the cube maybe longer than the usual QT, so long as there is some mature rock, I really can't stress that enough, they absolutely IMO must have rock to graze, no matter how much nori etc you provide. Totally away from the clowns for now. However she needs to move on from that after a month or so, and hopefully has fattened up a bit, herein lies your risk with a pair to bully in a 40 g. It's an investment and you are trying to bring a fish back to life as a juvie. As @Reef mentioned go for a lower price in case this fails....best of luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It takes a long tome for a fish with HLLE to recover right?
Define long. Ive seen 3 months and 7 months on certain fish. Diet and water quality will dictate the amount of time it takes for healing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get this fish and give it a good home, but I dont want it to die in the process.

If you think about it too much you will never do it.

If you have the basic requirements, rock for it to graze, a friendly tank and plans to upgrade, then all you can do if try your best.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define long. Ive seen 3 months and 7 months on certain fish. Diet and water quality will dictate the amount of time it takes for healing.
If they heal at all. My hippo looks horrible but has looked horrible for years. Otherwise perfectly spunky and healthy.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were going to make nurturing back to health a project, I'd say go for it. But not for 100 bucks.

But you are looking at putting an unhealthy fish into your display. I'd resist the urge.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back