Should I buy?

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a really small purple tang that they have had for about 2 months

it is $100, but has hlle and has nipped fins from another purple tang being with him

I see him picking at rocks, and can ask for him to be fed if I’m serious about it

I have long term plans for him but for now, he will go into a 40 gallon mixed reef

should I buy him?
Thanks for the advice

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one years ago that was a rescue fish. A friend took it and gave it to me to take care of. Once they get that bad they don’t generally get better. If the fish is in bad shape you are doing them a favor. I would state that to the LFS. You have to be committed to a long term relationship with a disfigured fish. Most people want unblemished specimens.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, could he live in the same tank as a yellow tang the same size?

I don’t have the yellow yet, and if I added both, would doing it at the same time be good?

they would be the only fish with a pair of clowns, a small goby, and a tiny dragonet

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How could I minimize any possible aggression?
You can't in 40 gallon. You can only hope for the best.
I just put purple tang and a yellow tang in a 130, they have been sparring for a couple of weeks but nothing serious and it has gotten alot better since they have nori 24/7
But you can't know and in a 40 gallon you have no room for error

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got another tank that one could be in if aggression is too much, maybe an acclimation box would be beneficial?

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the yellow tang captive bred, from quarantined fish.us, but he hasn’t found one as of yet

so the yellow would be going in after the purple most likely

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the yellow tang captive bred, from quarantined fish.us, but he hasn’t found one as of yet

so the yellow would be going in after the purple most likely

my guess that would give you more of a chance, it will be used to living in a tank with other fish and not fighting for food, but with tangs it’s rolling the dice.

OP
OP
40g Nano

40g Nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is something else at the fish store that will blow my mind, I think I will get the purple tang

so when in quarantine, since the fish has been looking fine already, should I go straight into medication? Or just wait until any possible disease/parasite develops?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless there is something else at the fish store that will blow my mind, I think I will get the purple tang

so when in quarantine, since the fish has been looking fine already, should I go straight into medication? Or just wait until any possible disease/parasite develops?

there are a few medical guys on here, I would try and find out who they are and tag them for advice but if mine I would be more inclined to just observe in qt as the poor thing has been through a lot all ready.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
$75-80 would be a fair price.
Negotiate the fact that you have to nurse it back to normal health OR Request some essential foods as part of the deal.
The HLLE is likely due to both water quality and diet. Maintain optimum water quality focusing on Ammonia -nitrate-salinity-temp.

Salinity 1.024-1.025
temp 77-79
ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .04
Ph 8.7-8.3

Diet :

Spirulina Brine shrimp
LRS Herbivore diet
mysis shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
small plankton
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add Selcon vitamin to the foods 2-4X per week and add garlic extract on the alternating days for immune system health

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a really small purple tang that they have had for about 2 months

it is $100, but has hlle and has nipped fins from another purple tang being with him

I see him picking at rocks, and can ask for him to be fed if I’m serious about it

I have long term plans for him but for now, he will go into a 40 gallon mixed reef

should I buy him?
Thanks for the advice
If it isn’t skinny, and if you don’t expect the HLLE to improve, and don’t honk it looks too bad, then go for it. Just quarantine it (grin).
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back