Should I correct salt export or let it drift?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scope
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Scope

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2026
Messages
70
Reaction score
19
Location
Poland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I recently got myself a tropic marine hydrometer and I'm doing routine salinity checks every week or so at a similar time of day and only at 25c. I noticed a downward trend though - started out after a water change with 1.0264 sg, a week later it was 1.0263 sg, and now I'm sitting at 1.0261 sg. I suspect rollermat is taking the saltwater out because obviously, it pulls damp fleece out of the system. Also skimmer, testing etc. there's always something pulling salt out of the tank.

The question is, should I correct those drifts, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Just mix a bit of salt in a cup and dump it in? Slightly salty ato? Dosing pump? How do you deal with that?
 
Your drift is normal.
I run my SG at 1.026-1.027. As long as its in range no worries.
In my 150 it will drift down from 1.0265 to 1.026 weekly. I know from past tests that 3 tbs of salt into the overflow brings it back to 1.0265.
This way its always between 26-27.
Simple and effective.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new