Should I correct this chalice placement?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I would appreciate some advice/thoughts on this one.

I bought a tiny frag of Miami Hurricane a few months ago. It had only two eyes and it was (is) mounted to a “T” style frag plug. I’m an experienced (14-year) reefer and have a few chalices already. My typical way of mounting is to take the frag off the plug and glue it right to rock. I sometimes saw-off the post of plugs to glue the disc to the rock. I really dislike that type of plug.

In this case though, the frag was SO tiny I feared I would ruin the piece because it was absolutely welded to the plug. So I glued the whole plug in a crevasse, expecting it to grow outward anyway, like my other chalices.

As you can see, the coral is growing nicely. It gained a 3rd eye and a 4th is on the way I think. However, the 3/4 of the frag not immediately up against the rock in growing downward, away from light. There is plenty of tissue there but no eyes, as I would expect.

So here’s my question, do you think I should leave it where it is and see what happens, or, should I take out the frag, cut out the healthiest tissue (basically the top disc of the plug), and mount it on a flatter surface? ... or maybe something else?

Thanks in advance for the opinions and ideas!

C5751505-1E4B-4D35-9F23-7BA0303FB7FE.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Leave it if that's where you want it. Eventually it's going to just keep growing and growing and you will regret putting a plating coral in your tank. Ask me how I know? Lol

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave it if that's where you want it. Eventually it's going to just keep growing and growing and you will regret putting a plating coral in your tank. Ask me how I know? Lol
Yeah I have that problem with a Hollywood Stunner. Not a bad problem to have I guess?!?!

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I appreciate it!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have that problem with a Hollywood Stunner. Not a bad problem to have I guess?!?!

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I appreciate it!
I too had that problem with a hollywood stunner. Over a 4 year time, it grew to about a 2' diameter and shaded half my 130gal tank. I wasnt too upset when my tank crashed and I lost it. I will never buy another plating coral again unless it's over 500gal. The skeleton is still on the live rock, however I turned it upside down. It's kinda cool that it's still there. I suppose if you frag it all the time you can keep it in check but I am more of a set it and forget it kind of guy.

Fallenreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood stunner chalice has grown like weeds for me. I keep mine is low light (in the shade) and it grown in area of high light But still growing. I would just leave it and see how it does. Good luck

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hollywood stunner chalice has grown like weeds for me. I keep mine is low light (in the shade) and it grown in area of high light But still growing. I would just leave it and see how it does. Good luck
Thanks. Yeah I can’t keep the stunner from growing. Right now it’s in a war with one of my anemones.

Regarding the Miami Hurricane, seems like the consensus (asked another reefer friend too) is to leave it where it is for now. Maybe I’ll let it go for another month or two, see how it does then decide later if I want to adjust.

Thanks all for the replies!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back