Should I dose Seaklear?

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaklear dose an amazing job of scavenging my phosphates. Seeing about an average .08 ppm/day increase (testing every 4 days with Hanna ulr)

I see a .1ppm reduction per ml of Seaklear. Would it be reasonable to dose .5ml daily (diluted in rodi) to get a stabile phos level? Assuming continued testing to stay above zero.

OP
OP
N

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, 100 g tank plus sump. About 95 g net.

not asking how much to dose, just does it make sense to dose to compensate for what seems to be a steady (.08/day) increase in phos

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an OK plan, as long as you understand the risks that too low of phosphate might cause (e.g., dino risk) and possible impacts of the lanthanum on organisms such as clams and tangs (not always seen, but enough to be wary).

OP
OP
N

Neil Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciated. I am going to do a little more testing and see if the gain is steady or not.

I assume there is some point when there will no longer be any phos to leech from the rocks and the only source will be the food.

is that correct or did I pull that out of my …?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciated. I am going to do a little more testing and see if the gain is steady or not.

I assume there is some point when there will no longer be any phos to leech from the rocks and the only source will be the food.

is that correct or did I pull that out of my …?

If the phosphate level in the water is stable (at any level), then there will be no leaching. If you try to lower the water phosphate level, there will be leaching. if you try to raise the level, there will be binding to the rock and sand. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back