Should I feed my refugium

Reef Junky150

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 1, 2014
Messages
404
Reaction score
39
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is I don't know what the pods will scavenge since my dt runs to a filter sock into the sump then from a manifold my return runs to skimmer dt and my refugium. So in theory not much of anything is getting into the fuge. Should I feed the pods etc cyclopeez occasionally? I have cheato live sand and liverock in my fuge. Just curious. Their is a good population in it just don't want them to diminish.
 
I do know pods will grab up pellets and take off with them. I have sexy shrimp in my sump so I feed them pellets and the pods will go crazy for them. Some of them are almost as big as the shrimp.lol
 
I have some large ones too. Just figured the cyclopeez being smaller would be easier for the smaller ones and less polluting?
 
Im sure would be better for smaller ones but I wouldn't feed more than a few times a week, that would be asking for trouble I would think. I
feed my shrimp and fuge 2-3 times a week. When I set up the new tank with dsb In sump I plan to not filter the water going to the dsb so
they will get food that way
 
I might just add it to my Saturday routine. Once a week oght to be good. I'll try it for a few weeks and see if it makes any noticeable "eye test" difference.
 
Pods are herbivores

They love algaes , hair algaes or any accumulation of algaes you can find around pipes they love that.

My display refugium is feeding my reef by gravity so i don't worry about filter socks and return pumps for the pods.

Photo701.jpg




I have a connecting flex from the fuge to the main tank. I feed my macroalgaes and my critters at the same time.

I use spirulina as well to feed pods they love that. I also have an extra pod farm on the side.


Photo803.jpg



i wouldn't waste cyclopeeze , just flakes, even brine shrimp eggs is a great treat for the pods. But flakes, the spots of hair algaes, Ulva is one of the favorite pods algaes. They go through it like paper.


Photo338-1.jpg




From the left side bulkhead of the refugium

Photo272.jpg



Throught the flex and a gate valve to control the flow to the main tank.

Photo276.jpg



The pods reach the reef safely.


509-1.jpg








385.jpg





399.jpg
​
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new